Cell Phones in Jamaica

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cell Phones in Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, United Silver, DL Plat, IC Gold, Hertz. #1, AMX Plat
Cell Phones in Jamaica

We have Verizon which were unusable in interior Mexico. Some one els had AT&T which was sending and receiving calls. We got an AT&T but could only receive but not call out. Both were set up for international calling. Does anyone know if Verizon will work in Jamamica?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Did you look here? It appears that you can use your Verizon CDMA phone in Jamaica. There is a link to the localities that have coverage here.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:47 pm

Digicel has a compatible CDMA network. Oceanic might have its network up as well. For CDMA stuff, CDG.org is the best source.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:16 am

Programs: CO 1 Ply
I went to Montego Bay in July w/ Motorola E815, and my GF had an LG (not sure of the model) and both worked just fine, voice and text. Where are you going in Jamaica?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:28 pm

[puts on his Jamaican dreadlocks]

Hey, mon! Every-ting be okay if you dey use a mobile phone dat is a GSM and can pick up 900MHz dat Digicel provides. Most higher-end GSM phones (tri- or quad-band) have dis feature so if it all applies to you, then there is no problem, mon!

[takes his dreadlocks off]

p.s. Sure, Verizon has superior coverage in the U.S., but not much else elsewhere. I'd rather put up with my current cell provider AT&T Mobility's ability roam than get something that I view to be proprietary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.