Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Slingbox with built in Cable Modem

Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson

Cable Digital News is reporting that Slingbox has a yet to be announced model that is DOCSIS 2.0 certifired. DOCSIS being the cable standard for cable modems.

"The manual refers to the cable modem as model "V-Modem007" but does not specify a Docsis chipset supplier."
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA1k-to-UAnada, HiltonLowAsUCanGo, HertzDoesntMatter
I've heard rumblings about these features for a while. AFAIK there are only 2 silicon suppliers are used in 2.0 certified modems, Broadcom and TI. I'm not sure that it should matter though as long as the modem is certified.

Most cable operators balk at Slingbox capabilities as it consumes their upstream bandwidth at no additional revenue. It's only a matter of time IMO however
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't HAVE to be a Slingbox. It could just be a cable modem that works nicely with slingboxes. They already make powerline equipment so a sling branded cablemodem could be next...
Old Sep 30, 2007, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coldfoot
.........Most cable operators balk at Slingbox capabilities as it consumes their upstream bandwidth at no additional revenue. It's only a matter of time IMO however
My Slingbox utilizes both the U/L and D/L stream and I pay dearly for my cable internet each month. As I have often said before Comcast Is Greedy.

MisterNice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.