Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Calling the US from China via Mobile

Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF

Does anyone have a recommendation for a phone service to use for calling the US from China using a China mobile phone?

I've used Net2Phone for calling from Hong Kong to the US, and it works great, but they don't serve China. I have used IDT in the past, but most recently I have tried to establish an account and have found them impossible to deal with.

Any recommendations of similar services that are more reasonably priced than using a US mobile phone from China would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving to Travel Technology Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:00 am

China's market is more regionalized than some. Where are you going and for how long. Skype for example works in Shanghai, but is blocked in Guangdong (sp?).

In Shanghai, you can buy cheap calling cards from many party stores, but many of the cards were not Government approved. Right now China is having a crackdown on bootleg Internet services and this might effect things. In six months it will pass.

China is a weird country. A bootleg ISP could have 50,000 subscribers. They exist in the gray zone and usually involved greased public officials.

If you have a prepaid phone, a callback number is also a possibility.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:05 am

There are at least 2 possibly 3 detailed threads that discuss this in a comprehensive way.....in travel technology section and possible in China section -a search and some effort will help you find them.

If all else fails, visit posts either from me or 'moondog' as search function not the best on FT.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Originally Posted by dtsm
There are at least 2 possibly 3 detailed threads that discuss this in a comprehensive way.....in travel technology section and possible in China section -a search and some effort will help you find them.

If all else fails, visit posts either from me or 'moondog' as search function not the best on FT.
Will do. Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I've been using united-mobile for my china calls. They just introduced a new card which doesn't include china, but the older ones do. Call back cost is about .50$ a minute now, used to be .10. My family uses my onesuite account when I am there to call my mobile, which is .25$ a minute, or .02$ to the hotel. So, it is usually a call back to the hotel.

Last time I was there I checked on the china SIMS, and the rates for most call back are .15 a minute, so I think my next trip I will just pickup a local sim and do that route.

These are all minutes for calls to usa or from usa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.