Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Buying and Shipping Flat LCD or Plasma from USA to India? If? How?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying and Shipping Flat LCD or Plasma from USA to India? If? How?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Well, if you ship w/ a reputable carrier in the original packing with insurance, you are pretty well covered. Typically you can't find any top-of-the-line stuff in India, at least that I've seen.
And why would want a top of the line TV when you are not getting top of the line signal?

I do not think that HD is available in India yet.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
India adopted DVB digital TV in 1999 and began the switchover in earnest in 2002 - PAL/NTSC doesn't necessarily enter into the equation. There are zero DVB-compatible Plasma or TFT sets available in the US.

A quick check of Google reveals that TFT prices are around the same in India as they are in the US. Perhaps a few bucks higher. I'm seeing lots of 32" sets for around $800 USD.

Why on earth would you want to spend the same money for a TV in the US and then ship if halfway around the world, pay high shipping charges, pay high customs duty, and then wind up with a set that doesn't even work with their broadcast system? That is, if it arrives in one piece and working condition.

Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:43 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Originally Posted by xmlsoa
Very expensive . I agree, but I have no clue on how to find out the $$$ Cost to ship. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind about PLASMAs. Probably go with LCD.

$$$ ?

Thanks. I am aware of the 110 / 220 V AC Voltage Downstepping requirement. Not a big thing to add a converter.

Thanks. I am aware of the NTSC/PAL. Appreciate the LCD vs Plasma insight.

Anyone point me to SHIPPING related insights?
I would contact a local freight forwarder, (google freight forwarder and your city) they should be able to tell you the exact price based on your information eg. weight, dimensions, mode of transport, speed etc.

Most forwarders are brokers, that is they arrange for your product to be shipped by other carriers, often it is the scheduled airlines.

My guess is that shipping of a 250 lb package( have no idea what a tv and packaging would weigh) would run 1850.00 or so.

That said i think you will be lucky to have a working tv on arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.