Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best bag for Heathrow + European carriers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best bag for Heathrow + European carriers?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by miamitreo
Check Brookstone. I think I remember seeing something like that while in the store in atlanta. Great idea. THe bag did not appear to be tumi or B & R quality, however it did look durable...

http://brookstone.com/store/thumbnai...e=subcategory&
Thanks, this hits the mark from a features/size standpoint. The two reviewers both had durability issues, but the bag is $200 and they'll sell a 3 year replacement/service plan for $50. Might be worth it although going to the store to replace it might be painful.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
Bag size

I think it would be great if the luggage manufacturers would also include a "fits sizer of h x w x l" statement for luggage that could be used for carry-on. I want to know if my bag will fit before I get to security.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:18 am

Yeah. One suggestion is to take a trip to the airport and just try the bag in the carriers sizer and see if it fits. If not return it to the place of purchase. This way you've lost much less time and headache than just going to the airport the day of travel.....

Posted via my blackberry wireless...........
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I think I found the two-in-one bag that includes a space for clothes as well as a laptop all in one... it's from B&R:

http://www.briggs-riley.com/business...sstraveler.asp

Neat idea, I just wonder if there is enough space for clothes/suits and shoes in there for a 2-3 day trip... the "back half" of the bag (where I assume the clothes go?) looks quite thin.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm currently looking for a lower-priced bag in this size range... I posted earlier about the American Tourister Deluxe Mobile Office for $35 from Wal-Mart. It has room for laptop and 1 suit + shoes or 2 days business casual. The one downfall I've found since my last post is since the laptop compartment/access is on the bottom then any overpacking of the clothing section puts stress on the laptop screen. My laptop is now having problems with the backlight working intermitantly and going out if bumped/nudged. I'm now looking for something similar but with laptop compartment/access on the top of the case instead of the bottom. Anyone know of anything around $100?

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'm currently looking for a lower-priced bag in this size range... I posted earlier about the American Tourister Deluxe Mobile Office for $35 from Wal-Mart. It has room for laptop and 1 suit + shoes or 2 days business casual. The one downfall I've found since my last post is since the laptop compartment/access is on the bottom then any overpacking of the clothing section puts stress on the laptop screen. My laptop is now having problems with the backlight working intermitantly and going out if bumped/nudged. I'm now looking for something similar but with laptop compartment/access on the top of the case instead of the bottom. Anyone know of anything around $100?

Thanks
Consider:

http://www.ebags.com/us_luggage_solo...?modelid=59577
http://www.ebags.com/us_luggage_solo...93856414823726
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The second one you linked to looks promising... I really like the shoe pockets. The firts one still has the laptop on bototm which is what has nearly destroyed my current laptop.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:39 pm

I'm also currently leaning towards the Travelpro VIP Wallstreet Expandable Deluxe Rolling Computer Brief. Retail is around $170 but it looks like it can be had online for closer to $150 new or even less used.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Picked up the Briggs and Riley 235X today. Getting ready to pack in a few. Off to LHR tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it works out. I will try to post again after Im done packing.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:30 am

yes please do let us know what the deal is at LHR. I'll be going there in a few months and I don't want to be surprised....

Thanks and have a safe trip..
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:03 am

I gave up on rolling bags not long after giving up checked baggage. The wheel and handle assemblies weigh a lot and take a lot of space.

My bag of choice these days is an irreplaceable old grey Benetton bag bought in Italy some 10 years ago, but if I had to buy a new bag today the Tom Bihn Aeronaut would be near the top of my list:

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0906

It's 22" x 14" x 9" (555 x 355 x 230mm) and should fit any sizer. The main compartment can take a small laptop (e.g. thinkpad or dell x series) in a protective sleeve with plenty of room to spare.

Not cheap, but I have been very pleased with the quality of the Tom Bihn backpack I commute with daily. Their bags are extremely well-built with high-quality materials (splashproof zippers, high-denier waterproofed exterior with smooth ripstop interior lining, etc.)
Old Sep 28, 2007, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I think the Heathrow baggage restrictions are 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22" x 17.7" x 9.8"). If so, the Briggs and Riley bag at 21 x 14 x 9 inches should fit, but I'd be interested in seeing if there is something closer to the size limit.

These may also work:

http://www.ebags.com/us_luggage_solo...?modelid=59577

http://www.ebags.com/world_richman/d...?modelid=12363

http://www.ebags.com/briggs_riley/wo...?modelid=60000

http://www.ebags.com/case_logic/18_r...?modelid=57038

http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swis...59857188006796

I have this Briggs and Riley which just fits into the LHR sizer and can be used for a trip with a very compact laptop bag inside providing I am travelling light.

I have also noticed that the baggage police are getting a bit less vigilant with regard to bag size recently. Whereas I was asked to put my bag in the gauge fairly regularly a few months ago, it hasn't happened as much in the past few weeks.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by thegoderic
I have this Briggs and Riley which just fits into the LHR sizer and can be used for a trip with a very compact laptop bag inside providing I am travelling light.

I have also noticed that the baggage police are getting a bit less vigilant with regard to bag size recently. Whereas I was asked to put my bag in the gauge fairly regularly a few months ago, it hasn't happened as much in the past few weeks.
Thanks, thegoderic. The bag is 20 x 14 x 8.5 inches. It sounds like the 8.5 inch dimension is tight because of the necessity to have a thin laptop and to pack lightly. But, is the 20 inch dimension plus wheels also tight?

It would be great to do without wheels, but for me, I want to preserve my back, especially walking long distances through airports and sometimes to and from airports (e.g., Heathrow Express). So, I really want wheels.

Last edited by shawbridge; Sep 28, 2007 at 9:04 am
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:07 am

In Cambridge now, the real test will be when I head back to LHR tomorrow. But packing the BR 235X went as follows. I was able to put 3 days worth of clothes in an Eagle Creek 18 inch folder and put in the back pocket of the BR2335X when it was expanded (it has a zippered expansion capability. I was able to put my LL Bean Turbo backpack, filled with computer, phones, etc in the middle pocket of the BR235X. I put other odds and ends, a fleece jacket, book, etc in the front main pocket and a few other odds and ends in the small pockets on the front. I switched from my MacBook to a Dell X1 to cut size and weight. The bag was pretty stuffed so it may or may not make it through LHR. In the US I carried the backpack on my back and the BR235X on my shoulder and neither was very heavy since the backpack was the heaviest but on my back and distributed well. I was able to fit them separately, having pulled the backpack out of the BR235X, into the overhead bins of the &***&$*# RJ I flew in from LGA-IAD.

I will put the backpack in the BR as I go through security tomorrow. If it makes it, great, if not, I pull the backpack and check the BR. If that happens I will test both thinner backpack/briefcases and splitting the clothes into two pockets on the BR, which may help. I may do that tomorrow in fact. Ill let everyone know how it goes. So far though, I like the BR235X a lot.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:30 am

Thumbs up

I was able to shift stuff around and zip the expansion zipper closed with everything in it. I was able to make it through security with no problem. I dont think that it would have fit the sizer but they werent checking very carefully. Bags thicker than mine were coming through as well. I may get a less hefty backpack to go inside than the one I have now, but all in all Im really pleased with the backpack in the BR235X combo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.