Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

recommendations for good cheap USB-to-USB port cables?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Looking for a cable to connect two computers, from USB port to USB port. Any recommendations? TIA.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 11:52 pm

This cable will NOT work with Windows Vista:

http://tinyurl.com/2pnm9d
Old Sep 16, 2007, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Thanks. (Naturally, I'm looking for one that works with Vista. )
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=6204227

5. Transfer By Cable

The remaining option for transferring your data is to buy a Vista Easy Transfer cable. This will come with a CD, allowing you to put the transfer program on your old computer (or, of course, you can use the Vista disc as described above). Do this, then exit the program. However, don’t hook up the cable between the two computers yet.

On your new machine, click through to “Start a new transfer,” then “My New Computer.” A new screen will appear, asking if you have a transfer cable; click on this.

Only at this point should you connect the USB transfer cable between the two computers. If you have 2.0 ports on both computers, use them, as everything will go much faster. Plugging in the computer will bring up a screen on your old computer asking if you want to transfer the data now. Don’t agree. Instead, you should select “Take no action,” followed by “OK.”

Instead, open the transfer program on your old machine and go through to the Windows Easy Transfer window, followed by next. When the screen appears, you be asked if you want to make the transfer with a cable. Select this.

With this, the computers should communicate with each other, and the transfer can begin. You’ll see a screen when they’re connected, and be prompted to select what data you wish to transfer. Unless you have other needs, pick “All user accounts, files and settings (recommended).” From there you’ll see a screen summarizing the data to go. If you’re happy, hit transfer. You do also have the option to customize the data you send (as above). As before, in either case you’ll be asked if the data should go to an existing Vista account, or if you wish to create a new one.

Once that’s complete, the cable data transfer will start. When it’s complete, a screen will inform you, and you can see a summary of what’s been moved. You’ll need to log out and log back in for all your settings and files to show.

All of this is fine for people at home, with just two or three computers. For offices and organizations, where you’re working with a number of computers, you’ll need to use Microsoft Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) 3.0, although it’s not necessary for simple upgrades. USMT will transfer all facets of the user accounts, not only the files, but application settings and desktops. However, all this will be carried out by IT professionals.

If you wish, you can purchase software, such as EasySync Suite, which promises to “safely and securely moves all your files, application settings, mp3s, photos, videos, documents, Internet settings and more to your new Windows Vista environment,” using a wizard interface, whether upgrading or transferring data from another computer by cable, network or removable media. In other words, it simply does exactly what you can achieve from Vista itself, and for only an additional $29.99.

Vista promises a lot, and the design of the operating system gives it the chance to deliver. Obviously time will tell how good it really is. But one thing the designers have done properly is creating a system for you to transfer your data and settings properly, overcoming a perennial problem.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mikey1003
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=6204227

... the designers have done properly is creating a system for you to transfer your data and settings properly, overcoming a perennial problem.
Maybe. But my perennial Microsoft problem is having to reformat your machine periodically. Then transferring your data back to the same machine. Since I'm not a Vista user, I'm not sure if an annual reformat is still de rigueur. But reformatting is a nasty process, much harder than transferring to a new machine, and best done with help of an in-house SAN (I use a Buffalo Linkstation) and sophisticated image backup software like Acronis True Image.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I don't have an opinion. I just posted that link as help.

My laptop came with Vista and our IS dept transferred whatever was needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.