Search

Powerbook G4: fast battery discharge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Powerbook G4: fast battery discharge

My Mac G4 laptop has suddenly developed a very rapid battery discharge. With battery almost fully charged, I use the computer for about 10-15 min and suddenly the screen goes black. No warning about "operating on reserve power". After plug-in for recharge, about 5 minutes later, everything is fine.

I have been careful to charge the battery only when the battery is down to less than 10%, i.e., the low battery warning appears. Recharge seems to occur at a reasonable speed.

This has happened quite suddenly. I had not noticed a decline in battery charge lifetime until this very abrupt loss of power. Is this a battery problem or a computer problem (short circuit that rapidly discharges battery)?

I am going out of the country for month soon and cannot do without a reliable laptop. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by SeAAttle
My Mac G4 laptop has suddenly developed a very rapid battery discharge. With battery almost fully charged, I use the computer for about 10-15 min and suddenly the screen goes black. No warning about "operating on reserve power". After plug-in for recharge, about 5 minutes later, everything is fine.
this is generally due to one of the internal cells within the battery pack prematurely failing. therefore, as the battery discharges, the weaker cell will suddenly drop in voltage, causing the entire battery pack to drop below the level required to operate the computer, and it simply shuts down.

it is time to replace the battery.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:59 am

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
Originally Posted by pdxer

it is time to replace the battery.
Yep. My Powerbook G4 just passed the 3 year mark and BANG went the battery. A new one through Apple online is about $125 and I am back to 4 hours of use.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:13 pm

My understanding is that it's bad to fully discharge a LiON battery pack, using it until the low battery warning.

Since I use my computer daily, almost all day, I generally replace my Powerbook / Macbook Pro batteries every year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.