The new iPod

Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
i think at 399, the iphone is a deal. wonder if they will sell alot more of them...
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spurg
i think at 399, the iphone is a deal. wonder if they will sell alot more of them...
I doubt it.

Those that wanted one have it. Those that were thinking about it will probably still be put off by the 2yr. ATT agreement.

I'm sure they'll sell a few more, but the rush is over.

I'm feeling sorry for those poor people selling them on Ebay, their entire market just collapsed
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:57 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Yup, that 2 year agreement is a killer.
Though I want a ipod touch now. I like that no contract feature
Old Sep 5, 2007, 7:09 pm

Why isn't 16gb enought? You can store a few full-length movies in compressed form and days of music. You don't have to carry everything on the ipod, just sync every few days.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 7:15 pm
tlc

Programs: AA Platinum
I am afraid we're going to have to by 2 now and 2 more when the storage size increases.

I shall be majorly jonesing for the next 3 weeks though.... lust. very much lust.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
I was excited to hear about the new iPods.....and then I saw the specs on the touch. I will keep my old G2 iPod until the memory increases. What a disappointment.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by cj001f
But it's not that many movies or pictures (if you are using your iPod as a camera backup). The Touch in an 80gb would be quite nice, even with the bad battery life, as a photo backup/one assistant. Oh well.
A couple of things:

First off, if you're concerned about backing up photos why not spend a third of the cost of the iPod and get yourself a nice USB/Firewire drive?

Second, I compress my DVD's to go onto my iPhone/iPod and a typical 90 minute movie takes up roughly 1GB at the size needed for the format. So conservatively you could fit almost 150 movies on a device with 160GB.

Personally, I don't want anywhere near that amount of files to shuffle through! I load 4-5 movies and a few TV shows onto my 8GB iPhone, have about two dozen albums loaded and I still have plenty of space left over (a couple gigs).

Craig
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
Why isn't 16gb enought? You can store a few full-length movies in compressed form and days of music. You don't have to carry everything on the ipod, just sync every few days.
Not everyone uses their iPod the same way. I listen to mine when I fly. I have no idea what I want to listen to until I get on the plane -- then I'll play whatever strikes me as appropriate for my mood. This means I need my entire music collection with me.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
folks

Originally Posted by PTravel
Not everyone uses their iPod the same way. I listen to mine when I fly. I have no idea what I want to listen to until I get on the plane -- then I'll play whatever strikes me as appropriate for my mood. This means I need my entire music collection with me.
what did you guys expect?

that apple would sell the device with 80gb?

we know apple dont we?

first sell it with a small capacity. a lot people will buy.
after 3 -4 month they will only sell 16gb and 32gb.
and the 3rd version will be 60gb etc.

if i was apple i would do it the same way.

btw. the ipod touch would be great if it had a mic (for skype ) + if it had a built in camera for voip video phone calls + mail etc.

now the iphone at 400usd, i am sure the price will drop soon under 400usd on ebay, in this case i will rather buy the iphone than the ipod touch...

dp
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:14 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Exactly. The same is true of video. When I go on a long, overseas business trip, I don't know what I'm going to feel like watching. So I load my iPod with lots of movies, TV shows, podcasts, and documentaries. No way is 16gb enough for my needs.

Huge disappointment.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by derpelikan

we know apple dont we?

first sell it with a small capacity. a lot people will buy.

Exactly. Why are we surprised? I bought the first Nano the hour they came out. (Two years now...hard to believe) Thereare those that will snatch up the first wave, and then upgrade later.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
First off, if you're concerned about backing up photos why not spend a third of the cost of the iPod and get yourself a nice USB/Firewire drive?
I have 3. I don't want to carry them, or the laptop, around with me when traveling.

a single photo backup, web browser, music player would be awesome ^ Now back to confront my distaste with Archos
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by derpelikan
I didn't expect anything. The product Apple is offering doesn't meet my needs or the needs of people who use an iPod the same way.

Why not?

we know apple dont we?

first sell it with a small capacity.
As I recall the first iPod was 20 gig.

a lot people will buy.

Why?
in this case i will rather buy the iphone than the ipod touch...
Whereas I won't buy either. I have no use for an iPhone.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
5gb, actually.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:52 pm

sounds like the ipod classic 160 gig with 40 hour battery life is for you.

it was a 5 gig model, back in october, 2001. the 4th generation (click wheel) in summer 2004 is where sales started to dramatically increase, and that started at 20 gig.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.