ATT air card (Sierra 875U) international use questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:24 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
ATT air card (Sierra 875U) international use questions

Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about

I've been cleaning up our company's mismanaged AT&T account, canceling contracts for lost SIMs and cards, getting new cards etc. Unbelievable so few accounts could be such a mess. So, they have told me I could "borrow" a card for a trip to EZE this coming week.

Do I have to call AT&T to have them allow international roaming like you do with a phone? Would there be additional fees beyond the normal monthly charge? (I don't want it to cost the company additional.) Will it work in Argentina?

I could take the regular 875 or an older one with external antenna, but I've got an unassigned 875U (USB connection) arriving tomorrow

I mean once I download the software, theoretically I could borrow a card whenever I travel? At least in the US.

Is this even worth thinking about? What's the potential downside?

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:16 am

You might want to call to confirm. I have a SIM card that I swap between my AirCard and an iPaq. Originally purchased with the AirCard as a data only plan, I switched to a voice & PDA plan, it still provides data service if I pop it into the AirCard just fine. Earlier this week I received a text message on the iPaq from AT&T informing me that I could now use it overseas. Kind of odd, since I'd used the AirCard overseas as a Cingular customer before the AT&T merger/acquisition.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
lili, depending on the plan you have international roaming data could cost A LOT!!!. There are some plans that include some international data.

I'm not an AT&T customer but this article discusses overseas data costs.

Could you buy a sim card locally and do data less expensively? I'll let others chime in.

Jim (jealous)
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
AT&T Data Connect Rate Table

Here are the rates for AT&T
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:56 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Thanks for the help.

ROW2, that's a useful rate card. I was not finding anything helpful on the ATT-Cingular regular (non-business) website or Sierra. (Our helpful corporate rep wasn't aware there was a USB aircard...)

Freak, there have been a lot of weirdnesses with the merger. Think it's best not to take chances with the company account.

Jim, thanks! When I printed out that PC Mag article, it printed about 5 others along with it - all current, all informative, and all things I need to know.

I really appreciate the resources I just couldn't find. Thank you all.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
The cost of the usage can't be understated, we have a few hundred of the cards that we started issuing traveling employees and apparently the "unlimited use" wasn't explained very well that it is US only.

We had two people this month that had huge bills - $2000 for a week in Paris, and $10,000 (yes, ten-grand) for two-weeks in Germany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.