Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Cheap inflight power source alternative?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold

I sat next to a guy yesterday and noticed he was using an inverter plug other than "Empower" or whatever the airlines sell to power his laptop. He told me he was using a Black and Decker 100 watt inverter which worked on all airlines for him...for which he paid about $19.99 at Wal-Mart.

I checked online and found the Black and Decker 100 watt inverter #VEC1044BD for $28.72 but found an exact copy of it made by Husky at Home Depot for $19.99.

My question is...obviously this will work on AA as the guy sitting next to me was successfully using it. Anyone know if it will also work in UAL? And any comments either positive or negative? Seems like a waste to spend $110 with the airlines for their inverter when this is so much less.

Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I use the Targus inverter sold in computer stores or online. Its $60 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PAPWR20.../dp/B0000AKA8T

The older versions were closer to $100. I presume the price difference for these products is the insurance liability for selling products to be used on the planes as well as a different customer base.

The B&D inverter looks like an interesting option but I'm not sure its worth saving the $30-40. Among other things, it looks like it might be a bit big for the laptop bag. You'll have to plug that in to the seat outlet and then plug your normal AC cord into the inverter. The targus just plugs into the seat outlet and connects to your laptop.

I don't know anything about United but US Airways used to have a different plug type that the AA type which is a standard cigarette lighter plug.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Keep in mind that there is a Technical Forum here which makes more sense for this post ( and may have some opinions) and a 100W inverter if asked for full power will blow the 75W seat circuit breaker anyway so these inverters are not the be all and end all for computers.

The airlines don't sell them as much as companies like Targus, APC, and the best for computers, Lind Electronics. If you are concerned about a laptop then Lind is the best. If they don't sell one it is usually due to the fact the seat cannot power it. If they do the small size and engineering is worth every penny.

A lot of Dells, for example, cannot be powered anymore as they exceed 75W. My Apple MacBook Pro has an Apple cord that runs the laptop without charging as that requires 85W.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
A lot of Dells, for example, cannot be powered anymore as they exceed 75W.
As I learned on a recent trip from Rome. I worked off battery power until it was gone (the AA vid screen was plugged in) and then discovered that once drained the computer would not stay on even if plugged in to the power port.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold
The guy sitting next to me last night was using a Dell and it stayed fully charged. The Black and Decker converter is 100 watt and did the job for him. The identical product made by Husky is also 100 watt but sells for only $19.99.

Since I have a long flight to Tokoyo and Hong Kong in 3 weeks, I think I'll invest the 20 bucks at home depot and buy the Husky version...will let you guys know after if I have any problems.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by chiproos
Since I have a long flight to Tokoyo and Hong Kong in 3 weeks, I think I'll invest the 20 bucks at home depot and buy the Husky version...will let you guys know after if I have any problems.

YMMV, but if I wanted to make sure things worked for a flight to NRT or HKG, I'd spend the extra $40 for the Targus. Among other things, I wouldn't be surprised to see an FA fuss about the B&D.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:58 pm
mlp

Programs: AA Plat,Priority club-gold, HHilton Gold
Originally Posted by chiproos
The guy sitting next to me last night was using a Dell and it stayed fully charged. The Black and Decker converter is 100 watt and did the job for him. The identical product made by Husky is also 100 watt but sells for only $19.99.

For what its worth - I bought one of these Husky 100W inverters and used it on a recent trip on AA to HNL. It allowed power with no battery recharging of my Gateway MX6426 in max battery mode on an MD-80, and two different 763's that I flew on (one ngbc, one not). I was pleased with it. The kensington and the iGo products are much more flexible and I probably will get one if I start to travel a lot - but this worked (for me at least) and was a decent bargain.

mlp
Old Sep 16, 2007, 2:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I use the iGo Juice, but they make other really great products.

http://www.igo.com/default.asp

These will power many computers, not to mention other entertainment devices, cellular phones, etc. One power source and a few changeable tips for everything not many power sources. ^ It costs a bit more than some, but for me it has been flawless.

After it's all is said and done, this thread is going to power over to the appropriate Forum for further discussion, as it is not exclusive to American AAdvantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.