Search

Recommend document scanning software

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Recommend document scanning software

I have come in possession of a Canon MF5550. Pretty sweet, but huge machine. The main reason for using this is to scan documents and old statements into PDF to make more room inside my filing cabinet. The included software, OmniPage SE 5.2, is useless and doesn't even recognize that it has an ADF attached to it (thus, will not scan anything loaded into the ADF--which was the purpose of getting this machine in the first place).

The MS Office Document Scanner program works, but it took 10 minutes for 4 pages. I'm hoping there is something more efficient.

Does anyone have any experience with Docsvault software? The Home version is probably all I need--plus the price is right (free).

That said, I would actually be willing to pay for decent software (up to $50-ish).
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortuneately your version of Omnipage SE is really really old, I'm using the current version of Omnipage and it's quite awesome, but costs $400

The SE versions of Omnipage have always been pretty weak...

Do you just want a scan, or a scan AND OCR to make text searchable PDF's?

There are quite a few simple scan2pdf programs out there, but I can't say I tried any of those...
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Do you just want a scan, or a scan AND OCR to make text searchable PDF's?
Just scanning to PDF. I'm just electronically archiving utility statements, bills, etc.

I don't know why I would need OCR (now or in the future).
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
I do the same thing. Check http://www.nuance.com/paperport/ Nuance (formerly ScanSoft) PaperPort.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 1:51 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
I have a Canon MF5750 which looks identical to your machine. I just use the Canon Toolbox software that came with it to make PDFs. It works well enough and it will use the document feeder. It seems to do about 4 or 5 pages a minute.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That software is not available when I search for software for the MF5550. I wonder if it will work.

The only software included with this were PageManager and Omniscan.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I have an older Ricoh scanner and it flys I dont no how many pages per minute but I'd guess 30 or so.
That said I am assuming the software is proprietary so doesnt really do you any good.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:18 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by LAX-1K
I do the same thing. Check http://www.nuance.com/paperport/ Nuance (formerly ScanSoft) PaperPort.
^^ PaperPort and their PDF Converter product!
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:21 am

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
Does anyone have a scanner recommendation that will auto feed pages in like a fax machine does?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Originally Posted by jeffo
Does anyone have a scanner recommendation that will auto feed pages in like a fax machine does?
I have a Brother MFC multi-function printer, fax, copier, scanner. It's got a nice sheet feeder on top that works for faxing and scanning.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Star
Try changing the settings in the MS office scanning software, you should be at 200 or 300 dpi bitonal (B&W). That should solve you 10 minutes for 4 pages issue.

Cheers
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:57 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
That software is not available when I search for software for the MF5550. I wonder if it will work.

The only software included with this were PageManager and Omniscan.
Those programs came with mine also. The toolbox thing was installed with the drivers. You might check your driver disk.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I have come in possession of a Canon MF5550. Pretty sweet, but huge machine. The main reason for using this is to scan documents and old statements into PDF to make more room inside my filing cabinet. The included software, OmniPage SE 5.2, is useless and doesn't even recognize that it has an ADF attached to it (thus, will not scan anything loaded into the ADF--which was the purpose of getting this machine in the first place).

The MS Office Document Scanner program works, but it took 10 minutes for 4 pages. I'm hoping there is something more efficient.

Does anyone have any experience with Docsvault software? The Home version is probably all I need--plus the price is right (free).

That said, I would actually be willing to pay for decent software (up to $50-ish).
Hello,
Could you tell me from where you get all of this software? I also want to start using this software at my office or residence.....
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by jeffo
What's your expected throughput? If it's just a few pages now and then than the Brother recommended above or a Samsung multi function would be my top recommendations. I have a Samsung B&W multi function laser. It works well but was a pain to get on my network. The reviews I read said the Brother was easy to set up but had an overall lower print quality - but not enough difference to notice with typical business docs. Why you'd print anything else with a B&W laser I'm not sure but that's what the reviewers noted.

If you're doing a few hundred to a few thousand per day, then Panasonic has some good stuff. Panasonic is generally good about designing machines that are easy for end users to maintain, which cuts down on lifetime cost of ownership since you don't have to have a tech come out for routine things like cleaning & roller replacement.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:52 am

Wow you guys revived a 10 years old thread! Now I pretty much just use my phone and evernote to scan everything. The quality on documents and receipts are really really good you can't even tell it is not from a full size scanner. It even made all the words searchable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.