How do I reset my computer to yesterday's settings?

Subscribe
I use AVG as virus protection. Today, an update downloaded, and now AVG won't launch. My computer is unprotected, and I am feeling very vulnerable.

Would you please remind me of computer 101: returning settings to a day when they worked. I use Windows XP. Where do I go in the control panel to return the computer to yesterday's settings, where AVG worked just fine?
I'm not a computer wiz like some of us here..but System Restore solved a similar issue for me today. Try looking in Performance and Maintenance for System Restore settings.
Assuming you've got restore enabled (many disable it), you can refer to the Microsoft KB article (found by searching "system restore wxp" in google): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Keep in mind, that the update may re-apply and put you right back where you are now. Personally, I'd try to fix the AVG problem first - uninstall then re-install. As to protection, make sure you have a firewall enabled and do not download or insert removable media into the system while unprotected.
Take a look at Blink from Eeye.com
Its an amazing firewall/AV/anti-malware app that combined is lighter weight and frankly better than any of the other options I've tried. Its free for a year.
Quote: Keep in mind, that the update may re-apply and put you right back where you are now. Personally, I'd try to fix the AVG problem first - uninstall then re-install. As to protection, make sure you have a firewall enabled and do not download or insert removable media into the system while unprotected.
That was a great suggestion. I did exactly what you suggested, and AVG is now working again.

Quote: Take a look at Blink from Eeye.com
Its an amazing firewall/AV/anti-malware app that combined is lighter weight and frankly better than any of the other options I've tried. Its free for a year.
Thank you, I will look at that. I moved to AVG from Norton, thanks to recommedations in this forum. It's great to be able to come to the FT IT department, and get such knowledgeable help.

WHEW! I hated having my computer unprotected from viruses, and am very glad it's now running properly.
Quote: It's great to be able to come to the FT IT department, and get such knowledgeable help.
You mean there are other places on the internet apart from FT?

I have AVG also but haven't run into problem after my daily update. Not yesterday, not today. Did you figure out what went wrong? Did it conflict with your other firewall/anti-...etc programs?

Quote: You mean there are other places on the internet apart from FT?

According to the preference/Incent reports, some fellow FTers do regard FT as the one-stop-mega-internet-department store that will give our dosages of freebies, among all the other travel-related advice.