Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Carry-on Wheeled Uprights - Any Recommendation?

Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry

Hi Everyone,

I need to buy a new Carry-On Upright. I prefer 20" models which fit in almost all aircraft overheads. I also do not mind speanding a bit more for a high-end model. I dids some research:

Briggs and Riley came out with a new model with external compartment for laptop, files, and toilet stuffs etc.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/travel/c...terupright.asp

Looks good. But, it looks a bit tall to fit in some flights (such as, DTW-NYC flights of NW). I don't like to place my carry-on sideways (it makes me upset when others do it by taking-up my space).

Any other suggestion? I know about Tumi, but Tumi is $550, plus, its too fancy. I need something for real use.

Thanks,
Tintin
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
There are several threads in the travel and technology forum addressing this question.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by spgaston
There are several threads in the travel and technology forum addressing this question.
Thanks. -Tintin
Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:28 pm

Programs: NW-Plat. Elite, YX-Executive, HH-Diamond VIP,
Looking at the dimensions, it should fit all NW aircraft.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:42 pm
Suspended

NW broke my bag and gave me an Atlantic brand. It's ok. It's better than the ones at WalMart.

My philosophy is not to buy expensive bags for check in but if you carry it on, you can probably take good care of it. Make sure it rolls well and doesn't wobble (easy to wobble if the wheels are too close, an error in the earlier days of rollerbags).

The Atlantic brand is heavy so it's bad for certain airlines, like Qantas, who demand light carryons.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec
Went through all the others (Boyt, Samsonite, Tumi, Hartmann, AT, Travelpro, plus a bunch of inexpensive knock-offs) before settling on Briggs & Riley stuff. In fact, just bought a new 22" rollaboard last week and love it (my wife wanted the 'old' one since her Boyt disintegrated last trip!). They have moved wheels out as far as possible now -- more stable and less intrusive to interior packing space.

They stand behind their warranty like no one else. I have two B&R computer bags. The local authorized repair guys replaced all of the zippers and refurbished by 10 year old on a few months back -- it is still my preferred bag!

Now have at least 8 B&R bags and very happy with all of them. Don't know about the new combo bag with laptop & garment compartments. Guess I will always prefer separate bags -- or, until the rules change for US domestic!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG
This has nothing to do with NW but I love my new Eagle Creek bag. It has a lifetime warranty.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Just a friendly reminder: the Northwest WorldPerks forum is for issues dealing with Northwest WorldPerks topics only. As such, this thread is moved to Travel Technology where our Travel Tech experts can assist.

-slippahs, NW forum co-moderator
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:19 am

B&R is good. Check out the costco one, webprice is higher $109- locally here in SoCal it is $99 for the 22 incher.
http://www.costco.com/Common/Search....uggage&topnav=
You can break 2 or 3 for the B&R price.
They also have 20 incher but I've never seen it in their stores so you'll probably have to order online.

I don't have the B&R and have to admit that it looks pretty good, especially the warranty. I have 2 of the 22 inch costco ones, depending on the a/c, they fit wheelfirst. I think on the older 737's or Airbus', they have to go in lenghtwise so you might be best with the 20 inch model.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5 Star PC
A second vote to Costco! They have a lifetime return policy so if one breaks it is easy to get another one. I am on year 3 of my bag with out any complications and my friend had a zipper break and promptly got a new one at the local Costco.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:55 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
The wheeled uprights might not fit in "all" aircraft even if they are within the size limits listed by the airline. Some aircraft have unusually shaped overhead or underseat spaces (especially underseat spaces for window seats) that may not be able to hold a wheeled upright that is close to the airline's size limit.

I prefer squishy bags like backpacks or duffel type bags or similar for carryon use. If necessary, they can go under the seat relatively easily, avoiding the need to gate check them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.