Wiki Posts
Search

Ooma

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Ooma

So who here has been testing Ooma and has tokens to share?

From WSJ:

Ooma is a piece of hardware that you plug it into your Internet connection and attach a phone, and you get free, unlimited domestic calls, local or long distance, as long as you keep your Ooma.

WSJ article link (may require paid subscription)
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta DM
hum, would love to see more info on it and to see how well it really works.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds a lot like Magicjack:

http://www.magicjack.com/site/index.html
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

The Ooma and Magicjack do sound similar. The positioning is different. Ooma is positioned more as a dedicated home device that easily integrates into the existing home wiring setup while Magicjack is more portable focused.

Both deserve a second look I think.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$400 upfront for lifetime unlimited calls?

Fish > smells.

I think the events of this week with Sunrocket have shown that the market is very vulnerable. Nobody is really making any real money here so promises like this sound very hard to keep.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The upfront costs are way too high I think for it to be realistic, at least for me.

There are many penny or two penny a minute usa to usa calling deals out there.

$400, that's 40,000 minutes of calling for this to pay for itself.

Free nights and weekends on cells, there's lots of reasons that's way too much money for something that probably won't be around that long.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
$400 upfront for lifetime unlimited calls?

Fish > smells.

I think the events of this week with Sunrocket have shown that the market is very vulnerable. Nobody is really making any real money here so promises like this sound very hard to keep.
Ooma in trouble?

http://valleywag.com/377932/ashton-k...-falling-apart
Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel stupid for doubting Ooma - got one this afternoon, and I think this is the future of the landline. The company is still around, doing better than ever, the hardware is half what it was a year ago, and the product is rock solid.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'm very intrigued by this!

http://www.broadbandreports.com/comments/3322

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 22, 2009 at 4:36 pm
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:51 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
deleted

Last edited by ClueByFour; May 15, 2019 at 3:57 pm
Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Oooma is Dead, Alive, Dead, Alice, unsustainable... it will be interesting to watch this one.

I never did buy as I took the T-Mo @home route for the $10 a month for unlimited local/long distance (USA).
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I still don't like products that leach off my bandwidth, and route their traffic across my network. My VUDU gets pretty much unplugged when not in use, or throttled substantially in order to contain it.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Saw the product @ Costco... Interesting-
There was a rep there but I was in a hurry so I could not ask him a lot of questions...

They were demoing it with a cell card
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:50 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Big fan here. Have been using it since December. Ported my Verizon # over and haven't looked back. Great sound quality and zero perceptible impact on my broadband connectivity. (RoadRunner standard 5mb service).
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Question: I know for initial setup, one would be advised to hook the Ooma directly to the modem or the router.

My question is once that is done, would it be possible to use the Ooma by connecting it to the ethernet jack of a wireless range extender (like the latest Linksys versions), or a WAP in bridge mode from a WAP connected to the router?

It may be inconvenient to have the Ooma adjacent to either the router or the cable modem (given where the cable comes into the house) and would be much nicer to have it in a more accessible place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.