Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to fix Slingbox remote?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

How to fix Slingbox remote?

This past week I purchased a Slingbox Pro, thanks to the enthusiastic posters here on this board who made it a "must do" for time away from home. I got the connection set up with no problems, but I'm having a problem with the remote that I don't see addressed previously here or on the Sling community forum.

The remote control on my laptop works great when I want to adjust the sound level, or even mute the sound. What doesn't work are the rest of the functions on the remote - changing channels, using the button to look at the Channel guide, etc. What do I need to do to get the rest of the buttons working correctly on the screen remote?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Bookluvver
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:08 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Originally Posted by bookluvver
This past week I purchased a Slingbox Pro, thanks to the enthusiastic posters here on this board who made it a "must do" for time away from home. I got the connection set up with no problems, but I'm having a problem with the remote that I don't see addressed previously here or on the Sling community forum.

The remote control on my laptop works great when I want to adjust the sound level, or even mute the sound. What doesn't work are the rest of the functions on the remote - changing channels, using the button to look at the Channel guide, etc. What do I need to do to get the rest of the buttons working correctly on the screen remote?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Bookluvver
It sounds like the device brand/model configured within the Slingplayer might be not precisely matched to the source device connected to your Slingbox. I would suggest looking at what you have set up. What type of device do you have connected to your box?

Also, confirm that the IR connection cable from your Slingbox cleanly points to the IR receiver on your source device.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all check the plug for the IR blaster, it has to be pushed in VERY deep into the box.

Next, try some different codes for your device. The mute and sound level are for the sound card on your laptop and don't depend on the IR Blaster, so either the whole IR blaster doesn't work right, or you have the wrong code selected.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
definitely make sure the cable from the infrared is all the way in. Also, for some reason, i had a similar problem. Try turning the infrared input a bit and seeing if the remote works. FOr some reason, mine has to be turned a certain way.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:01 am

a
My first sling had a defective IR cable. Had to wait a week for a replacement from Sling. (Could have gone to Radio Shack, but I was already on the road so the wait was ok. Had to call home anytime that I wanted the channel changed.)

a
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. I've worked my way through the list of replies to do what you suggested, with no success to this point. Maybe the IR cable is defective, as I've literally tried everything. If you have any other suggestions, please send them my way, as I'd like to get the Slingbox working before Wednesday when I have to leave again.

Where else to find such a group of willing to share experts other than Flyertalk?

bookluvver
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a similar problem and it was fixed only after using the third listed code.

MisterNice
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by MisterNice
I had a similar problem and it was fixed only after using the third listed code.

MisterNice
Can you explain what you mean by third listed code? My son is complaining that he can't get both sound and remote channel to work recently. We plugged everything in, re-set the IR position, etc. and still no luck.

Thanks,
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
some cable boxes have more then one ir code you can enter in when configuring the slingbox. if the first doesnt work, you have to try the other ones listed.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all, especially ScottC and MisterNice, for your suggestions to try additional codes - that was the problem!! Even though I had chosen the one listed on the machine (code 1), the working code turned out to be code 3. I'm now all set for my trip with a fully functioning Slingbox, and looking forward to keeping in touch with home more than ever!

Thanks again for all the help - you're GREAT!

bookluvver
Old Jul 3, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Great!

Great you got it working, I was just going to post that I had had a NUMBER of IR blasters that were bad, but this was fixed during the beta.

As for remote codes, some are a bit wacky, the H10-250 still has issues with other Tivos, I continue to use a simple DTIVO remote code for the H10-250 since I have three in the LR.

Send me the dets of your fix if you don't mind, I'll send it on the to the sling engineer who does the remote codes updates. The updates are coming out now more often than SP or firmware releases.

happy slinging
N
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:26 pm

Slightly off topic but not sure if my IR located/situated in right location. Read slingbox setup, etc and also recommendations on forum - where if you can't locate the exact spot to put the IRC top/buttom pieces, cover up front of cable box, starting left to right to determine where IR is located.

But, when I cover up front panel of cable box, can still get remote to work. In fact, even if I point to to back (not front) of cable box, can turn on channels, switch, etc.

So where is the exact 'sweet spot'?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
........But, when I cover up front panel of cable box, can still get remote to work. In fact, even if I point to to back (not front) of cable box, can turn on channels, switch, etc. So where is the exact 'sweet spot'?
If all else fails read the instructions or do a google. Get a sheet of heavy paper and cut a hole in it about 1" H and 1" W. Position the hole over where you think the IR receiver on the box is located and secure with masking tape. Try using your tv remote. Repeat as required to zero in on the exact IR location. This should take no more than 5-10 min. Good luck.

MisterNice
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:53 am

Yep, tried something similar with a small notepad and my wife covering selected portions of the cable box. Even when completely covered, can still use remote. Weird....

But good news is my son in HK now advises whatever I did earlier now has remote and sound working (for now). Many thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.