Wiki Posts
Search

FAR: T-Mobile Pre-Paid Phone

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P
Thumbs up FAR: T-Mobile Pre-Paid Phone

I just found out about this from a friend and figured since this forum seems to get a lot of traffic about traveling with phones and SIMs it might be able to help out a few people. If not, feel free to ignore.

T-Mobile is selling the Nokia 6030 (prepaid) for $30 with free shipping.
http://www.tmobilerebates.com has a $30 MIR on the phone.
Net cost = tax + stamp for the rebate.

Phone is 850/1900 so it only works in the US (and you have to be based in the US to claim the rebate) but if you have friends from overseas or have a US contact, it's a great way to snag a spare handset.

Anyone who also has a regular T-Mobile postpaid line can get it unlocked for free as well (saving any unlock fees).
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:49 pm

Would be interesting to keep around if you have out of country guests stopping by frequently. The $10 card minutes expire after 30 days, the higher denomination cards expire after 90 days. Fortunately there's a T-mobile store down the street from me..
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Once you buy $100 worth of refils, all your refils are good for a year, and you get more time per dollar. I've been prepaid with them for years one, love it.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm on my third year with prepaid, still working off of some of those original 1,000 minutes I purchased for $100 in 2005. The last two years I've just added $10 to keep the account active, and will probably do the same next year, as I rarely use the phone unless I'm out traveling in the U.S.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:26 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Would be interesting to keep around if you have out of country guests stopping by frequently. The $10 card minutes expire after 30 days, the higher denomination cards expire after 90 days. Fortunately there's a T-mobile store down the street from me..
If you read the site carefully, it says the offer is either available via a toll free number or online. Its not available in retail stores.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by cpx
If you read the site carefully, it says the offer is either available via a toll free number or online. Its not available in retail stores.
Right, so after these minutes expire I could direct guests to the store to buy more minutes.

I just ordered one online. They're apparently out of the $25 cards so that'll require a separate call.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'd be worried about the account being closed if you let your minutes expire. Are you sure it will remain active if you don't have current minutes on it? I've never let mine expire.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Am I missing something here?

$30, less a $30 rebate which means the phone is free. Then they give you a $25 credit on the phone which means they are paying you take the phone from them. Huh?
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Deleted.

Last edited by bp888; Jun 15, 2007 at 9:45 pm Reason: Called T-Mobile and had my questions answered.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Am I missing something here?

$30, less a $30 rebate which means the phone is free. Then they give you a $25 credit on the phone which means they are paying you take the phone from them. Huh?
Loss leader of course. It's like printers and ink. They don't make the money off the printer, but off the refills. Similarly T-Mobile will make their money from all the new customers they get who will buy refills once they've established their number, given it out to all their friends, etc.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
If you go through Fat Wallet you get $5 cash back on the 6030. Looks like the current offer from TMo is $29.99 with a $25.00 refill card and $10 value on new SIM (which means a new number). Basically you get the equivalent of $10 back.

I bought one as a back-up for the kids and will put the $25 refill on their existing prepaid TMo account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.