Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Bluetooth With Same Charger as Blackberry

Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite

Does anyone have a list of, or know of, bluetooth headsets that work with the same charger as the BBery 8800? I loved that with my Motorola and L2. Preferably a headset I can charge off my computer like I do my BlackBerry.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:26 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, AA EXP, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kcnwa
Does anyone have a list of, or know of, bluetooth headsets that work with the same charger as the BBery 8800? I loved that with my Motorola and L2. Preferably a headset I can charge off my computer like I do my BlackBerry.
I carry a Moto H700... Use the same wall charger, car charger and laptop charger with both my BB and H700... No issues here (been doing it this way for a couple of years)
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many Motorola's have USB connectors, and the high end Plantronics discovery models come with a usb charger cradle.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Just becuase they have the same USB style connection doesn't mean all the voltages are the same. I would imagine that if you plugged it into your computer and there was some sort of driver, it would regulate it, but there's no such way for a wall charger to do that.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:08 pm

Just because they have the same USB style connection doesn't mean all the voltages are the same. I would imagine that if you plugged it into your computer and there was some sort of driver, it would regulate it, but there's no such way for a wall charger to do that.
Most of not all of the Motorola BT headsets run off mini USB chargers, and I've been able to charge my BB 8700 off the same wall charger; some phones, though (including the Moto RAZR, I think) use a charger that has a mini USB tip but will not charge a BB. I never had any damage occur when I plugged my BB into a RAZR charger, but it didn't charge. So, check this before you get on the road and can't charge up.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Just becuase they have the same USB style connection doesn't mean all the voltages are the same. I would imagine that if you plugged it into your computer and there was some sort of driver, it would regulate it, but there's no such way for a wall charger to do that.
Every USB charger I've seen puts out 5V, and a device is not supposed to draw more than 500 mA current from the connector. Even the cheapo generic things at Fry's. 5VDC is the USB standard - I'm guessing in order to "legally" use a USB connector, you have to put the right voltage to the right pin(s).

Even if you feed 6V to a 5V device, it's probably not a problem - I've done that on occasion. The older 3G ipods were rated for something like 9-30 VDC, and the newer ones still can be charged off the 12V Firewire power, if you've got an old cable, but they'll drink the 5V USB power just fine too.

I've got a Plantronics Discovery 640 with the mini-USB socket, and I can charge it off the wall charger for my 8125 WM phone.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Blackberries do require a boost in voltage...not entirely sure what it is, but that's why they won't typically charge without the drivers installed.

I used the Jabra X thing (not sure on the name)...no one could hear me and the hear hook broke twice...but it would charge by usb which was nice
Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Blackberries do require a boost in voltage...not entirely sure what it is, but that's why they won't typically charge without the drivers installed.

I used the Jabra X thing (not sure on the name)...no one could hear me and the hear hook broke twice...but it would charge by usb which was nice
I just did a little sleuthing, and here's the story:

The USB standard is supposed to support 500mA at 5V per port. Some devices (laptops, some hubs, etc) will only supply 100 mA of power to a port unless there's some kind of driver installed to power it. That's what the issue is with the BB - not one of voltage, but of current supply. If you're using a wall/cigarette lighter charger that can supply up to 500 mA, then you're fine - any USB device should charge on that.

Supposedly, you can work around not having all of the BB software installed by extracting the .drv and .inf files from the installer package.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
The BB Pearl charger won't charge a RAZR, but a RAZR's charger will charge a Pearl.

There is a difference from 750ma to 500ma. But all the research I've done seem to indicate no damage in using a single charger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.