Palm announces Foleo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palm announces Foleo

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
The difference between the palm thing and the Psion organisers is that the Psions were fullly functional items, rather than crippled with a lack of productivty tools.

(and yes, I had Psion Sienas, Series 3, and 2 Series 5s.. before I switched to a palm form factor... for that matter - I still run a HP 320 for note taking when i need it - it still works!)

If you need power in your pocket... its time to consider a flybook or Toshiba R200... But this? I really have issues seeing it fly....
Old May 31, 2007, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ScottC
Haha... You mean you didn't like Psiwin?
I couldnt even type the name of it and now you have gone and made me read it.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What is Palm management thinking?

Basically they have an incredible lead on everyone in terms of software apps and a loyal user base for the calendar/datebook/note system.

The next logical market to tap is to come out with devices that compete with the Treos but provide additional capabilities and different forms.

For example, something that looks more like a blackberry pearl or a standard blackberry, but with a big enough screen for palm apps. Or maybe an ipod type device that incorporates palm apps and a phone (i.e. like the new iphone). Or maybe a flip device with a big screen and qwerty type keyboard.

Instead they wade into the overcrowded handheld computing market which has a lot of players and very limited demand due to pricepoint and functionality.

The best news here is that after the rollout tanks, Palm will be overripe for a takeover - hopefully by a competitor that will take the good patents and put them to work on some useful multifunction devices.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
What is Palm management thinking?

Basically they have an incredible lead on everyone in terms of software apps and a loyal user base for the calendar/datebook/note system.

The next logical market to tap is to come out with devices that compete with the Treos but provide additional capabilities and different forms.

For example, something that looks more like a blackberry pearl or a standard blackberry, but with a big enough screen for palm apps. Or maybe an ipod type device that incorporates palm apps and a phone (i.e. like the new iphone). Or maybe a flip device with a big screen and qwerty type keyboard.

Instead they wade into the overcrowded handheld computing market which has a lot of players and very limited demand due to pricepoint and functionality.

The best news here is that after the rollout tanks, Palm will be overripe for a takeover - hopefully by a competitor that will take the good patents and put them to work on some useful multifunction devices.
It is my understanding that their lead is going or gone. I suspect this was a "Hail Mary" type market play.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Flopeo.

Are these really the same guys that brought us the Treo600?? Their innovation pace since then has been glacial and they've benn caught/passed in the smartphone area, now they're off tossing money at useless products. I guess my 700p, my 6th product from them, will be my last.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Flopeo.

Are these really the same guys that brought us the Treo600?? Their innovation pace since then has been glacial and they've benn caught/passed in the smartphone area, now they're off tossing money at useless products. I guess my 700p, my 6th product from them, will be my last.

Don't forget; PALM didn't bring us the Treo, Handspring did. When Palm was still messing around with crap like the Palm VII they knew they had screwed up, so purchased Handspring.

The "old" Palm has nothing left. They sold their OS, they pretty much failed in the regular PDA market (after dominating it) and their Treo's have ceased to evolve for the past year(s).

Then of course, they added WindowsMobile, which was seen as a terrible thing to do by the PalmOS world.

Palm is doomed. At one point there were rumours they'd be purchased by Nokia or Motorola, but at the current stage I don't think they'd be worth it.

HTC is a relatively new player in the market, and is already selling more devices than Palm. Thats got to hurt.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 8:18 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
HTC...? Do they make PDAs or phones or both...?
Old Jun 2, 2007, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
HTC...? Do they make PDAs or phones or both...?
PDA phones and smart phones with Windows Mobile or Windows Mobile Smartphone OS. I would say that ALL of the hot Windows Mobile series devices made are HTCs. They pretty much own that area at this point I would say.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
PDA phones and smart phones with Windows Mobile or Windows Mobile Smartphone OS. I would say that ALL of the hot Windows Mobile series devices made are HTCs. They pretty much own that area at this point I would say.
And of course, they also make the Treo 750 for... Palm
Old Jun 2, 2007, 7:55 pm

And of course, they also make the Treo 750 for... Palm
Wow, I didnt know that. I think that about sums it up, actually.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, I didnt know that. I think that about sums it up, actually.
They also make most of the HP smartphones too. I'm fairly sure they started out mainly as an ODM for people like HP, Palm and the (brief) lineup of Toshiba PDA's.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
To be fair, Dopods were very popular in Asia. But of course Dopod are being bought by... HTC.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by typical
To be fair, Dopods were very popular in Asia. But of course Dopod are being bought by... HTC.
I thought HTC made both Dopods and Imates?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by typical
HTC always had some kind of stake in Dopod, same with Qtek.

i-mate always used HTC devices till HTC dropped them, now they use stuff from others like Techfaith.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Palm is doomed. At one point there were rumours they'd be purchased by Nokia or Motorola, but at the current stage I don't think they'd be worth it.
And in today's releases...

http://mytreo.net/archives/2007/06/bono-buys-palm.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.