Wiki Posts
Search

Any way to toggle laptop screen OFF?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Any way to toggle laptop screen OFF?

I have a Sony Vaio SZ450N/C and I would like to know if there is any way to toggle the display off without going into sleep. The monitor brightness function buttons only dim it down to a very low level, but not completely off. I don't want to change the power settings because otherwise the screen will keep going off every X minutes- I want the ability to do it on-demand.

On my very old Acer, I would just use the display toggle button (normally used to switch between external video source) and it would just turn my laptop display off because it would be in the external display mode.

Any tips out there?

Thanks
Old May 30, 2007, 3:25 am

I'm not familiar with that model specifically, however most laptops have a video output toggle for external monitors.

It is usually a combination of keys like Fn+F5, etc.

Look at your F keys at the top. Do you see a monitor or a picture of a tv like object above one of them?
Old May 30, 2007, 6:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I believe it's Function and F7 on the Viaos
Old May 30, 2007, 6:48 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Close the screen and set the power settings not to go into sleep/standby or hibernation when this happens (okay, do the 2nd part first).
Old May 30, 2007, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ralfp
Close the screen and set the power settings not to go into sleep/standby or hibernation when this happens (okay, do the 2nd part first).
I don't have that in my power settings (my old Acer did). The Vaio only allows for sleep, hibernate, or do nothing.

Originally Posted by cordelli
I believe it's Function and F7 on the Viaos
It doesn't switch to anything (even black) because it detects nothing is plugged in. If I do Fn+F7 it only allows me to switch to the display configuration utility

FWIW...I had already thought of doing these things before. Anything else? Thanks
Old May 30, 2007, 11:06 am

Perhaps you can get a VGA plug and wire it to trick the computer into thinking there is a monitor attached. Then you can use your function keys to turn off the laptop screen. It would only work if your video card supports non-plug-and-play monitors. I found these pinouts with a quick Google search. You might want to do some additional searching to get more info about VGA plugs.

http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.