Verizon Wireless Email Sync Will Not Connect To Gmail Pop Server

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire

I am trying to use Verizon Wireless email sync to connect to Gmail, and I get the following error when testing the configuration:
"POP/IMAP Settings

1. Unable to login to mail server - check password
2. Unable to login to mail server - check username"

The Verizon Email Sync tool is found at:
https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com/en/logon.asp

I have also tried these settings:
Pop server: pop.gmail.com
Use Nonstandard Port: 995 (have also entered no port)
Require SSL Connection (have tried checked and unchecked)

I also tried logging in with a test Gmail account, and I get the same error.

The Gmail accounts are enabled for pop, and the passwords are correct.

On the VZW sync page there is a PDF with a screen shot of similar settings as noted above.

Also, curiously, Gmail does not seem to be one of the pop email services that just work out of the box, e.g. VZW's automatic detection process will not configure a Gmail account .

I have done some searches and worked on this for about 2 hours with no luck getting the Gmail profile added to this application.
Old May 14, 2007, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Fix/Work Around Found

The special Gmail VZW Gmail PDF configuration document refers to using a Gmail username like:
recent:[email protected]
It says you must use this prefixed username if you use multiple pop3 clients to download the Gmail. I did not think it was mandatory especially if not using another pop3 client. But when I put inn
recent:[email protected]
it immediately recognized Gmail and began syncing email. It would not log in to my Gmail without the recent prepend to the userid.
Very strange..but at least it appears to be starting to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.