Reload this Page >

Cell phone as modem: I outsmart myself

Cell phone as modem: I outsmart myself

Old Apr 28, 2007, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikey1003
Use the wall charger while you are using phone as a modem
Well, sure, except there was no place to plug in -- I was using the laptop and the phone on batteries.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA PA, *S (UA)
Nokia offers a special USB data cable that supposedly does charge the phone from the USB port.
http://www.nokiausa.com/accessories/...:CA-70,00.html
Old Apr 28, 2007, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mongatu
Nokia offers a special USB data cable that supposedly does charge the phone from the USB port.
http://www.nokiausa.com/accessories/...:CA-70,00.html
I have a charging cable. It's just more convenient to use Bluetooth -- no physical connection necessary, and the phone can stay in my pocket. That's the whole point of my story -- I didn't realize how quickly data packet transmission would drain the battery on my phone.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:55 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Still trying to figure out why you had to spring for the T-Mobile. Wouldn't the Bluetooth connection have worked while the phone was charging? I've not actually tried this, but I haven't run across a phone yet that wouldn't let me talk while charging, so it seems other transmission while plugged in and charging should be possible. (I suppose this functionality could vary by model.)
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Still trying to figure out why you had to spring for the T-Mobile. Wouldn't the Bluetooth connection have worked while the phone was charging? I've not actually tried this, but I haven't run across a phone yet that wouldn't let me talk while charging, so it seems other transmission while plugged in and charging should be possible. (I suppose this functionality could vary by model.)
There was no place to plug the charger in -- I was at the bar and there were no outlets.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is everyone so worked up about this charging situation?
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
Why is everyone so worked up about this charging situation?
Because cell phones, among other things, use BATTERIES. If you don't charge it the phone dies. Using the phone as a modem uses so much battery power that it often requires the phone to be charged to ensure that you can still use the phone.

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm using it 8-10 hours/day as a modem, getting .9-1.1Mbps measured via speedtest.net.
I don't believe this because sprint only advertises a claim of 400-700 kbps (read the small print). There is a faster "rev a" network but there are no phones yet that are rev A compatible...only data cards.

Due mainly to the battery issue and speed, I still much prefer the PCMCIA cards to tethering data from a cellphone.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by PTravel
According to the Verizon rep, all I need is a Vcast subscription. I don't know if this is correct or not, but I asked specifically, told her what I was doing (and got her name).
I would not trust a Verizon rep. They are about as reliable as Vista's drivers.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the Verizon rep, all I need is a Vcast subscription. I don't know if this is correct or not, but I asked specifically, told her what I was doing (and got her name).
You may be in for a VERY nasty surprise. VCast is a subscription for content ON your phone, which passes through one of their vcast proxies. Anything used outside that will most likely result in high charges.

I'd check your bill online and/or call and ask for a data rep.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
There was no place to plug the charger in -- I was at the bar and there were no outlets.
I'm sitting in the JFK Red Carpet Club with the phone plugged into the wall, waiting for it to charge. Of course, I'm bored just sitting here waiting, so I've just paid the $9.95 to t-mobile so that I can read FlyerTalk.

What am I missing here?

It's no big deal, I'm just getting more confused with the responses.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
Verizon Wireless

I have a question hope you guys can answer. How the does speed compare between using my blackberry to tether and access the internet vs. buying one of their aircards and accessing the internet. Some of said the speed is the same whereas others have said the aircard has superior speed. Any experiences????
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iwebslinger
I would not trust a Verizon rep. They are about as reliable as Vista's drivers.
I don't trust the Verizon rep. However, I do trust my knowledge of law -- the rep's statements are binding as against Verizon.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyOne

What am I missing here?

It's no big deal, I'm just getting more confused with the responses.
Sigh. I used my computer at the SFO RCC, where I was sitting at the bar and there were no outlets. I unknowingly drained my cell phone's batteries. When I got to JFK, I wanted to make a call, but couldn't because my cellphone was dead. I went to the RCC, went to a work carrel and plugged in my phone so that it would charge. Well waiting for it to come back, I decided to do some things on the internet, so I turned on my computer and bought a t-mobile day pass.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:16 am
cpx

Programs: Many
I use Sprint, and I use a USB cable for the data and to charge the phone
at the same time.

it might not be a bad idea to carry the USB cable... you can
charge the phone from your computer USB port whether you are
using it for data or not.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I don't trust the Verizon rep. However, I do trust my knowledge of law -- the rep's statements are binding as against Verizon.
This is a HUGE topic on discussions/fighting on the big cell phone forum, Howards Forum. I think the summary of those over the years is that reps frequently say this, it is wrong according to the written terms and conditions of the account and they enforce it occasionally. Im not being critical by the way, at least not of you. I think Verizon has a data pricing/marketing structure that is so complicated that even their employees cannot understand it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.