Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

German autos use 12v DC negative ground battery?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Going to Germany in a few weeks. Do German autos use 12v DC negative ground battery. Also are the accessory plugs outlets the same as a US auto models? Will a US 12v DC adapter plug work in German auto rental with Garmin GPS 76CSx (US model) in a European auto. Or should I just use AA bats.

Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is exactly the same as in the US.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
I believe all cars now use 12v negative ground ,

the old English cars had positive ground back in the 60s

Rally
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rally

Rally
Yes - if your car was made by Lucas (The prince of darkess it will have a positive ground. Try to find an inverter that will let you run today's radios on that system!!! Regardless I love my 61 TR3
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:21 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Yup... whenever I travel overseas or domestically my Valentine 1 comes with me, so it better work in all situations.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by ALaTex
Going to Germany in a few weeks. Do German autos use 12v DC negative ground battery. Also are the accessory plugs outlets the same as a US auto models? Will a US 12v DC adapter plug work in German auto rental with Garmin GPS 76CSx (US model) in a European auto. Or should I just use AA bats.

Thanks.
Well, both my German made cars sold in the US work fine with US 12v adapters, and I seriously doubt that BMW or Porsche redesigns their electrical system from country to country (especially since the climate control system in one car has a German-only LCD display).

you'll be fine.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:39 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by rally

Rally

Yes, but they also had enough other traditional problems with their electrical systems that relying on AA batteries instead of a 12V adapter is just plain common sense, positive ground or not. It's always amazed me that English cars have so many problems with their electrical systems when it's wet, as its not exactly uncommon to find damp conditions in England. You'd think they'd have trouble with hot and dry climates, but no, just cold and wet.

Bob
Old May 1, 2007, 2:20 am

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
Originally Posted by spaceman
Regardless I love my 61 TR3
Drool...
Old May 1, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by mkt
Yup... whenever I travel overseas or domestically my Valentine 1 comes with me, so it better work in all situations.
Be careful, though, 'cause radar detectors are illegal in many European countries, such as Germany and France.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SFOffjunkie
Be careful, though, 'cause radar detectors are illegal in many European countries, such as Germany and France.
I think they are illegal in most, if not all, european countries. Certainly the penalty in the UK is pretty steep.
Old May 2, 2007, 4:47 am
mkt

I'm not too worried

It's easy to put it away before the Gendarmes/Polizei walk up to you. I also own a UK camera detector.
Old May 2, 2007, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Positive ground wasn't used for too long. I think (if someone can explain the physics/chemistry) it accelerates rust over negative ground? Certainly, the '68 XJ Jag I once had (made its way to Canada via South America - Argentina IIRC) had negative ground. I did have someone once ask me for a jumpstart on his TR or MG that had positive ground.
Old May 2, 2007, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt
I'm not too worried

It's easy to put it away before the Gendarmes/Polizei walk up to you. I also own a UK camera detector.
No no no. DO worry. Most European cops use a pretty decent radar detector detector (RDD), don't trust the manual of your detector if it says that it can "beat" the RDD, cause it won't.

You can put it away, but if they detected a detector you'll be screwed.

If your UK detector is GPS based then you'll be ok.
Old May 2, 2007, 12:27 pm
mkt

Originally Posted by ScottC
No no no. DO worry. Most European cops use a pretty decent radar detector detector (RDD), don't trust the manual of your detector if it says that it can "beat" the RDD, cause it won't.

You can put it away, but if they detected a detector you'll be screwed.

If your UK detector is GPS based then you'll be ok.
My UK camera detector is a GPS based unit I purchased while in Manchester.

I've only been stopped once while driving in Europe, the Gendarmes stopped me near Marne La Valee. I hid the radar detector, paid 250 Euro, and drove away. I was never asked about a radar detector... perhaps his lack of English and my limited French had something to do with it?
Old May 2, 2007, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by cressers
I think they are illegal in most, if not all, european countries. Certainly the penalty in the UK is pretty steep.
In the UK selling one isn't illegal, owning one isn't illegal, having one in your car isn't illegal BUT turning it on is illegal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.