Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

German autos use 12v DC negative ground battery?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

German autos use 12v DC negative ground battery?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2007, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt
, the Gendarmes stopped me near Marne La Valee.
Visiting the mouse?
Old May 2, 2007, 2:55 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by ScottC
Visiting the mouse?
Indeed. I am a Disney freak

I am headed back to DLRP for a few days in July, and Disneyland (California) in October and again in December.
Old May 2, 2007, 3:01 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by alanR
In the UK selling one isn't illegal, owning one isn't illegal, having one in your car isn't illegal BUT turning it on is illegal
I'm a bad bad man
Old May 3, 2007, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe some French cars (Renault?) had positive grounds for a few years. Most of the ignition problems with the British cars disappeared when they shifted from Lucas to Bosch ignition.

MisterNice
Old May 30, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I also own a V1 but would never bother with it in Europe. The Europeans use a different band for radar, so it's useless for that. It's not that effective against laser, which is more common in Europe. Also the European style of enforcement is different. In the US you have the lone cop hiding in the bushes. In Europe it's a more rare but major event with dozens of cops when it does happen.

Once in CH they forced every car to exit the highway and you would go thru a checkpoint in a rest stop where a guy would either tell you to get back on or make you park and get ticketed.
Old May 30, 2007, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnaget
I also own a V1 but would never bother with it in Europe. The Europeans use a different band for radar, so it's useless for that. It's not that effective against laser, which is more common in Europe. Also the European style of enforcement is different. In the US you have the lone cop hiding in the bushes. In Europe it's a more rare but major event with dozens of cops when it does happen.

Once in CH they forced every car to exit the highway and you would go thru a checkpoint in a rest stop where a guy would either tell you to get back on or make you park and get ticketed.
Hmmm... Where to start:

1) The V1 WILL work in EU if you change it to Ku band.

2) Most European countries have radar detector bans, and a vast array of RDD's, which BTW will NOT be immune to the V1 or any other high end detector without some MAJOR modifications (think 1 foot long wave pipe).

3) Dozens of cops? Hardly. In most countries in Europe they just setup a Gatso with a stationary radar in the bushes and take photos of you. Unlike in the US, they don't pull you over when you are speeding (unless you happen to run into one by accident and you are really speeding too much (>40km/h).

These Gatso's are nowadays usually accompanied by a digital camera (used to be film camera) and can be hidden behind bushes, behind the bumper of the cop car, or even in a trash can or trailer.

Laser isn't all THAT common, in most countries (UK, NL, FR, DE etc...) it's mainly used in residential areas, and even then they prefer not to because of the risks of pulling someone over.

In some countries (NL, DE) they have replaced the laser and rader for non-detectable optospeed detectors which use a light bridge to measure your speed. 100% not detectable.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
And now in the UK we have ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) average speed detectors, which you won't beat unless you know something I don't!

I never had a ticket in all my years in the US, but since moving to Europe 5 yrs ago I've gotten four.

Two in Germany from speed cameras (forward looking ones, the type usually painted army green, think they're Truvelos).

One in UK from a cop using the telescope radar thing (ticket by mail).

One in Austria speeding through a village of 10 people. Cash on the spot to two local yokels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.