Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple plugs Mac OS security gaps

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Apple plugs Mac OS security gaps

From zdnet.com:

Apple on Thursday issued a security update for Mac OS X that addresses 25 security flaws in the operating system software.

The security update affects various parts of the operating system, including some third-party components such as the Kerberos authentication technology. The most serious of the vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to gain complete control over an unpatched Mac, Apple said in a security advisory.

While several of the vulnerabilities repaired by Apple's updates were previously known, it doesn't appear that any attacks exploiting the flaws actually occurred...
While the Mac OS is more secure than Windows because of its UNIX foundation and also less of a target because of its lower market share, it is neither invulnerable nor totally off the bad guys' radar. Security Update 2007-004, which is available in PowerPC, Intel and universal versions, applies only to Mac OS 10.4. I'd suggest that anyone on this version update to 10.4.9 (required, free) if not already there, and then install it.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:06 pm

Long time apple user here....Mac OS is certainly less prone to the security breaches that plague the other side but I usually don't 'immediately' upgrade and install updates.

Instead, I subscribe to macfixit and they'll usually issue comments as well as share experiences of those who are early adopters (ones that immediately update)....once in a while, it's better to wait. There have been instances where update caused more problems than it solved.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 5:13 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by Efrem
While the Mac OS is more secure than Windows because of its UNIX foundation and also less of a target because of its lower market share, it is neither invulnerable nor totally off the bad guys' radar. Security Update 2007-004, which is available in PowerPC, Intel and universal versions, applies only to Mac OS 10.4. I'd suggest that anyone on this version update to 10.4.9 (required, free) if not already there, and then install it.
Whomever thinks they are invincible because they are not using a windows machine is a fool.

Thanks for a heads up. downloading and installing right now.

/E
Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:46 am

Programs: Delta DM
I agree, though a Mac user, I know there are poeple out there writting for Mac that want to harm us, no big deal, Win just has more users and more people trying to do harm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.