Comfortable NON-bluetooth headset

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfortable NON-bluetooth headset

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Location: MCO (well, actually DWS, but that airport hasn't seen a landing in a long time)
Programs: Formerly Worldperks, now Skymiles ... no status to speak of
looking for NON-bluetooth headset recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations for a very comfortable, heavy duty non-bluetooth earpiece?

I need to find something that is comfortable enough to wear for 8-12 hours at a time, with good sound quality in noisy environments (I work in a theme park).

The phone I'll be using it on is a Nextel/Motorola i305 (and once in a while an i355, but it's the same connector plug). Hence, no bluetooth.

I've tried several models, and so far, I've had the best luck with the Motorola NNTN5211 earpiece. However, after having to swap out 4 of them on warranty, I kinda get the picture that they're not terribly well made. I've also tried a "Star Single Wire" unit from headsetusa.com, and found that I couldn't hear very well on it. Lastly, I've tried a Jabra Earwave Boom, but didn't like it because it kept slipping, thus causing the ear insert to move, which lead to discomfort.

Any advice at all would be great. (I know it's a bit of a challenge, but if anyone can come up with something that works, it's the FT group)

Last edited by PsychoFreakGoalie; Apr 18, 2007 at 12:18 pm Reason: more descriptive title
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:50 pm

You might find this suggestion a bit goofy, but I picked up a cheap $15 over-the-head type headset manufactured by Sanyo at Wal-Mart. It's so comfortable that I forget I'm wearing it. It's not what I would call "heavy duty," but it is very lightweight, and has a mute/answer/end call button on the cord that works great with my BlackBerry. Sound quality at both ends of the call is very good.

I also have a Bluetooth headset for traveling, but I find the the cheapo Sanyo headset excellent for when I'm working from my home office. Never needs charging, either
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Location: MCO (well, actually DWS, but that airport hasn't seen a landing in a long time)
Certainly something to look into. Thanks for the heads up
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:11 pm

For 8-12 hour comfort, I'd think a more traditional over-the-head design (like the Sanyo PorkRind described) would make more sense than an in-the-ear design. Maybe something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007M1TZ
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001W0ET
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E1HVGQ

You might want to check out the Etymotic headset, though:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001YX9ZI/

It has the best audio quality of any headset I've ever used, and works very well even in loud environments. With the smaller windscreen on it, I find I am able to hold a conversation while walking through Times Square (something I do a lot), whereas my previous earbud-with-a-mic-on-the-wire headset was virtually useless in that environment.

I'm not sure, however, if it would be comfortable for 8-12 hour stretches, as I've rarely worn it for more than an hour or two at a time. And it may have some slippage issues like the Jabra. But it's worth considering.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I absolutely wouldn't do in-ear for 8-12 hour stretches all day every day. It's merely conjecture but I have to believe that between the sweating, etc we all do and the constant contact that it would rapidly become irritated. Maybe I'm wrong. I suppose people wear hearing aids day in and day out as well.

I have had great luck with this headset in harsh environments. You can find it online for $25-35.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, OnePass
here is me modeling the headset I use

the quality is good, wearable for hours at a time....

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...magejpeg_0.jpg
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

jquero ... interesting solution, although I'm not sure I could wear it for 8 hours at a time, I'd think the holster would break.

Going with an over-the-head style headset would probably be a good option, but it's not quite as unobtrusive as what management would like us to have. (They do supply earbud style earpieces, but I've found that I can't wear them, they hurt too much)
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by PsychoFreakGoalie
jquero ... interesting solution, although I'm not sure I could wear it for 8 hours at a time, I'd think the holster would break.

Going with an over-the-head style headset would probably be a good option, but it's not quite as unobtrusive as what management would like us to have. (They do supply earbud style earpieces, but I've found that I can't wear them, they hurt too much)
You work in a theme park, can't you scare up a costume?

(Just another "Goofy" suggestion)
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by PorkRind
<SNIP> I picked up a cheap $15 over-the-head type headset manufactured by Sanyo at Wal-Mart.
I have the exact same one that I keep in my vehicle.

Have you lost the foam windscreen yet? I found mine on the garage floor and put it back on with a dab of epoxy.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

I think I'm going to try the etymotic model, and see if that works. It'd be difficult for it to be less comfortable than the earbud I'm using since my most recent NNTN5211 (Motorola surveillance-style) broke.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I have the exact same one that I keep in my vehicle.

Have you lost the foam windscreen yet? I found mine on the garage floor and put it back on with a dab of epoxy.
No, not yet, but mine stays on my desk in my home office when I'm not using it. I take my Plantronics 640 with me when I'm driving or working at a customer site.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:14 pm

When I find one that I like, I tend to pick up a couple of them. One for my office, one for my house, one for my car, one for my purse...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.