Bytes Logger 1.2 1.2
Bandwidth Limiter 1.4 1.4
FrontPage FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 5.0.2.2635.SR1.2
mod_ssl 2.8.27 2.8.27
OpenSSL 0.9.7h 0.9.7a

Im all updated
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PTravel. Apologies for the confusion, we must have been typing at the same time.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
For us neophytes, is it as easy to hack a banking or mutual find site, or do they have more safeguards built in for this type of thing?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
For us neophytes, is it as easy to hack a banking or mutual find site, or do they have more safeguards built in for this type of thing?
It's not impossible for a major site to be compromised, but it it not usually by this kind of hacking. They have IT people on the payroll 24x7 who are looking out for this kind of issue and cooperate closely with the software vendors to close holes before they can be exploited.

The sites in the news seem to lose their data by leaving laptops lying around to be stolen.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Depending on if the financial institution is using an off the shelf software or home-grown application, the risks may vary.

However, merely hacking into the web-hosting server is often not enough to compromise the back-end application, as was the case here.

The banking applications typically have their own security access via firewalls and other application authentication mechanisms.

The real problem comes from phishing when users are duped into giving up their user names and passwords via scam emails.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
This wasn't one of the "adult" sites, was it?

http://www.glenstephens.com/

(This dude sells stamps, and he lives in Australia, or Oz. You make the connection)
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: UA General Member
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Your site upgraded to Apache 1.3.17 today. That is the latest legacy security release. The previous site update was to 1.3.33 on January 12th.

The current release of Apache is 2.2.4
The legacy V1 of Apache is still maintained. The most recent release is 1.3.37
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:35 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
It's possible to hack anything. Usually, however, it's easier to get information about anything using social engineering. I'd suggest reading two books by Kevin D. Mitnick: "Art of Deception" and "Art of Intrusion". The first is aimed at a broader audience than the second.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Art of Intrusion is all true stories though, as opposed to the hypotheticals in Art of Deception. i found both to be very enlightening.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Your site upgraded to Apache 1.3.17 today. That is the latest legacy security release. The previous site update was to 1.3.33 on January 12th.

The current release of Apache is 2.2.4
But - is it a linux server or a windows server? I'm thinking of that virus that attacked windows 2000 servers a few years ago and attached stuff at the bottom of each html page after the </html> tag.

I had my server hacked. A) it inherited flaws from a server my previous business partner had set. B) I was running a phpBB forum on there that had some serious holes in it. Found complete databases in my mysql with commands.

Pretty impossible for me to change host as I am the host and the guy who sysadmins it for me now is an absolute star. My former boss and one of the top blokes in the country on internet security and even designed and built firewalls.

New server, new installations and the phpBB is being chucked out.

/E
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:54 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
sorry - deleted for double post
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:10 pm

The site appears to be running Apache 1.3.37 on Linux.

The homepage still has the invisible spam links. This tactic is used to raise their ranking in search engines because it makes their site look very popular.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:53 pm

Yikes! One of the embedded codes on your home page. Good luck with getting everything straightened out.

<a href="hxxp://www.dr-tom.com/downloads/xanax/
commit-suicide-on-xanax.html">commit suicide on xanax</a>

The sad thing is that Dr Tom probably doesn't even know his site is being used to proliferate this stuff.

Last edited by Darren; Apr 18, 2007 at 8:00 pm
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanh
The site appears to be running Apache 1.3.37 on Linux.

The homepage still has the invisible spam links. This tactic is used to raise their ranking in search engines because it makes their site look very popular.
Unbelievable! I just checked it this morning!

How are they doing this? I changed my password -- how are they getting in?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
Unbelievable! I just checked it this morning!

How are they doing this? I changed my password -- how are they getting in?
They aren't using your password, obviously. Since it is shared hosting, no doubt someone else on your server (or the host itself) is running a script or some piece of software that has a security hole in it that is allowing the hackers to access and modify the content on the server.

This can happen to anyone on occasion, but your host should definitely have tracked down and resolved the issue by now. I would strongly advise you get a different host, since your current one is apparently incompetent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.