Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Cingular Treo 650 does not work in Europe!

Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Can anybody help?

For some reason, I can see the networks...but I simply won't get service. For example, I was in Spain -- I picked up Movistar and a few others via Network Connections. When I tried to connect, it wouldn't work.

When I try to select the connection type, my only option is GPRS -- I don't get a GSM option, and I believe that's the problem.

Anyway to get the GSM to work??

TIA.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:53 am

You may want to see if you can change the band your phone is using - some phones do not autoselect and require you to change it to the typical european frequencies.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Can anybody help?

For some reason, I can see the networks...but I simply won't get service. For example, I was in Spain -- I picked up Movistar and a few others via Network Connections. When I tried to connect, it wouldn't work.

When I try to select the connection type, my only option is GPRS -- I don't get a GSM option, and I believe that's the problem.

Anyway to get the GSM to work??

TIA.
Some Questions:

1) Did the Treo Say Something Like: SOS/Emergency Service Only/Blank But With Bars?

2) Did you enable international roaming on your account?

I have not had personal experience with the Treo lineup but I have fairly extensive knowledge with Intl Roaming.

Dan
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dan1431
Some Questions:

1) Did the Treo Say Something Like: SOS/Emergency Service Only/Blank But With Bars?

2) Did you enable international roaming on your account?

I have not had personal experience with the Treo lineup but I have fairly extensive knowledge with Intl Roaming.

Dan
Yes and yes.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by MBM3
You may want to see if you can change the band your phone is using - some phones do not autoselect and require you to change it to the typical european frequencies.
Default option on Treo 650 is "Auto" select, but one can manually force it to 900/1800 frequencies (used in Europe and most of the rest of the world) by opening "Phone" --> "Options" --> "Select Network" --> "Search Bands" --> "900/1800".
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:19 am

I have never had a problem. I was in Spain just yesterday and picked up Movistar and Vodafone ES in Barcelona.

I was even able to select which one of those two I wanted, since I had asked Cingular to unlock my phone.

Not sure what the problem is. If you can see the network name, you are connected.

Were you able to make calls and you were having issues with mail? I found that for a few networks, mail download is capricious while it works fine for others.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:21 am

Yes and yes.
Sorry I missed that. I get that at time. A restart takes care of it.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Droneklax
If you can see the network name, you are connected.
Actually, it depends where you see it... It's my understanding that OP can see names of various networks in "Select Networks" window under "Manual Network Selection", and not in the left upper corner of the main "Phone" screen, where it would be if connection were allowed.

Perhaps, rebooting the phone might get rid of the problem. Otherwise, I'd try and contact Cingular to make sure they have not somehow blocked international roaming (I've seen OP's saying that he/she has it activated, but still).
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
I've had this problem in the past, too. I called Cingular in the US and found out that even though the doofus in the Cingular store told me he had turned on international roaming, he had not in fact done so.

The phone rep turned it on for me, and 30 seconds later I was making calls.

(FWIW, I've had this happen with both Cingular and Tmobile, twice. Apparently they *really* don't want to turn on International roaming unless you beg.)
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I had issues with Cingular before in Germany. One carrier (I forget which) would show connected but I could not make or receive calls. Forcing the phone (under network settings) to another carrier fixed it. Even though my phone was locked and I cannot change the network in the US, it has always allowed it while roaming internationally.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was in Barcelona as well...I could see the Vodafone and Movistar networks, and when I'd select either one to connect...it would crunch for a bit and then say it could not connect. The fact that it picked up these networks leads me to believe it's picking up the various frequencies just fine; the problem is the phone is not "interpreting" them properly for use.

There's a $3.99 monthly charge on my bill for int'l roaming, so I assume that should allow me to get service. (I had the same thing happen to me as jg70124 -- the clowns at Cingular didn't activate the right feature.)

If any of you could be so kind...if you go into Preferences > Network (under Communications) > Connection (second line item), do you see GPRS? Or GSM? I believe, in order to work in Europe, it must be GSM. And I can't get that to appear on my Palm.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eugene
Default option on Treo 650 is "Auto" select, but one can manually force it to 900/1800 frequencies (used in Europe and most of the rest of the world) by opening "Phone" --> "Options" --> "Select Network" --> "Search Bands" --> "900/1800".
Tried that while over there...nothing. Strangely, "select network" option does not appear now that I'm in the States...
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:36 pm

Tried that while over there...nothing. Strangely, "select network" option does not appear now that I'm in the States...
And I believe I may know why. There are several software and firmware versions of Cingular's incarnation of Treo 650. There are "orange" and "blue" versions, for "Cingular" and "AT&T". Merging these networks went less than seamless., and your phone does not give you a choice of "blue" and "orange" networks. I know it sounds confusing, but in some parts of the country I can see 2 separate "Cingular" entries as available networks.

I would venture a guess that your phone was purchased locked to Cingular, and has a "CNG" version vs. "CNB". By going to "Options" and selecting "Phone Info", you should be able to see your software version. Mine is Treo650-1.17-CNB.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:39 pm

If any of you could be so kind...if you go into Preferences > Network (under Communications) > Connection (second line item), do you see GPRS? Or GSM?
I believe that preferences area covers data, and not voice. FWIW, my phone shows "GPRS" as the only option.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eugene
I would venture a guess that your phone was purchased locked to Cingular, and has a "CNG" version vs. "CNB". By going to "Options" and selecting "Phone Info", you should be able to see your software version. Mine is Treo650-1.17-CNB.
Mine is CNG. Is that the problem?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.