How many cell phones do you carry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest

Since it's Friday (here anyway), and since my wife just gave me a hard time about it again, I'm just kind of curious about how many cell phones people who travel a lot carry.

Me:

- T-mobile DASH (work number - company is too cheap to buy a BB server, so I have to use a windows mobile device). Go through about 4,000 minutes per month.

- T-mobile Blackberry. Still the absolute best mobile e-mail device as far as I'm concerned. My wife has one to and likes to be able to "pin" me no matter where I am in the world. Go through about 800 minutes/month but do 100s of "pin" messages per month (free)

- T-mobile RAZR. Got a heck of a deal on a 1500 minute package a couple of years ago (39/month) and just can't give it up. Plus it's easy to slip in my pocket. Go through about 500 minutes per month.

So, how about others? Any other "multi cell" carriers out there? Why?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:48 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Sprint Moto Q - work wanted me to get a blackberry, I refused and got a Q instead

Sprint Samsung A900 - my personal phone... got with Sprint back when they were the only US provider to offer non-roaming service in Puerto Rico.

Unlocked GSM RAZR for when I travel overseas.... as well as 5 or 6 unlocked older Nokias that I have had for years
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
One unlocked phone, two sim cards- one for the US, one for Italy.

I try to keep it simple.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Used to carry 3 or 4 phones, but now have it down to just one; my HTC Tytn.

Carrying several phones always seemed convenient to me, but then I realized it was more of a hassle than anything.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
None. Nada. Zilch.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:05 pm

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
None. Nada. Zilch.
Nice! Funny how it's harder NOT to have a cellphone than to have one these days.

I carry a Blackjack with a Cingular SIM and my company pays for international roaming.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Generally two, sometimes three, all unlocked.

Razor - simple to carry - put the sim card of the country I am in, in it

Treo 700 - can do more on it then just phone - leave my home sim card in it

Treo 650 - is my third back up that I will take when I'm in the islands and need to have three different island numbers on me. But that is only three dayss every two months or so. Usually it's just the two of them above when I travel.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I see people carrying 3 or 4 phones, I just wonder what things have come to.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:24 pm

When in asia on business, 3 or 4 phones, at least two always turned on.

1. Old Treo 600 with home number, and to download emails. Always on.
2. SE w810i - has great 2 mp camera and 1 gb of music, and either Singapore or Taiwan number (depends if in China or in Se Asia)
3. Samsung clam shell - with local number of country i'm in, eg Thai, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc.....as courtesy to local clients.
4. Motorola - specifically for use in Korea as gsm won't work there.

At home: SE w810i - great all around phone.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I see people carrying 3 or 4 phones, I just wonder what things have come to.
The ultimate in electronic leashes!

I was thinking the other day (obviously I don't have enough to do..) about how many phone numbers I have. It use to be that I had an office number and a home number. Now I have:

- three cell numbers
- two work numbers on Vonage (plus 4 more "virtual" vonage numbers)
- home number
- fax number

The really cool part is that no one ever really knows where I am....
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Four. Three on UK networks (we live in a very poor mobile reception area and need all the chances we can get) and one roaming from Australia - so my OZ clients can contact me without having to pay for international calls if I am not in OZ.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I've carried two phones since 1999. One with a San Francisco area code and the other with a Hawaiian area code. Initially it was to have a local number for sending and receiving calls in both places and to avoid roaming or long distance charges. Also, no one would have to use long distance to reach me. Now I keep both of them because the plans are so old that they are more competitive than anything either carrier can offer. Having two different carriers also increases my odds of reception in some areas.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, UA 1K, *wood Plat
I've cut down to two now:

1) My T-mobile MDA with a connection to my Exchange server, so I get my email almost all over the world with the worldwide GPRS data connection;
2) An unlocked Motorola Razr V3x with a several of the Telestial SIM card holders (nifty) full of SIMs for New Zealand, Kenya, South Africa, Brazil, Thailand, Argentina and Dubai.

All of this is tied together using Ureach, which forwards my calls from a centralized number in NY to any combination of numbers I select according to programmable schedules.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:28 pm

I have 2 phones. One is a company issue, the other is a personal phone. My company has an extremely strict policy regarding proper use of company resources. So I have a personal car, company car and a personal laptop, company laptop for the same reason. It's just easier/cleaner that way.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I used to have 2 (with 2 different numbers). Its such a pain to carry so darn many chargers and cords (for camera, bluetooth, shaver, notebook, iPod....), I finally consolidated to 1 now. When Nikon can give me a 10.2 Megapixel camera with a phone and MP3, I will consolidate further in fraction of a nanosecond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.