Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can you share a wired connection using ad hoc wifi?

Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:11 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

In a hotel with only wired connection, can one laptop share that wired connection via its wifi with another wifi-enabled laptop?

Or is it easier just to get a cheap pocket travel router?
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:48 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by cblaisd
In a hotel with only wired connection, can one laptop share that wired connection via its wifi with another wifi-enabled laptop?

yes and yes

I've done that myself a lot lately, but I'm also on my way to apple today to pick up a an airport express so I can be done with it.

Its dooable but its klugy, slow and has limited range.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd

If you happen to have two computers, it's plenty easy to get them both online via Internet Connection Sharing - included in all Windows XP installations. Just a matter of creating an ad-hoc network on the machine that will share the connection and then running Networking Wizard. Detailed instructions can be found by searching for "windows connection sharing" on google.

Otherwise, a portable WiFi router can be purchased for under $100 and usually requires about the same minimal effort. The Linksys WTR54GS is about the smallest available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.