Search

Newbie GSM Phone Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Newbie GSM Phone Question

Hello All,

I've read a lot on the SIM card posts. I'm just curious about the phone itself. I realize that buying an unlocked GSM phone is an easy ebay purchase, but I am wondering if I can use a Cingular "go phone" as the hardware. I have one and am hoping I can just put a prepaid SIM card and ....GO! Am I S.O.L. or in good shape? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: CO plat, BR gold, SPG gold
What model "GO Phone"? It is locked to Cingular. Cingular probably wont give you the unlock code for a "GO Phone" but you can easily get it unlocked. Depending on the model it may also be 850/1900mhz which is not useful in Europe or Asia. It all depends on the model.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Sony Ericsson J220a . Am I good or bad?
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you google unlock and then your model you will find many places that will do it for you for a small fee.

Some say they can do it for that phone without you having to buy a cable if you have cingular for $39

http://www.unlockitnow.com/Sony_Ericsson/J220a.php

I know nothing about them, just googled and found them, there are probably many others out there willing to sell you the codes and/or cables needed, and if you say where you are, somebody may know of a local shop that can do it for you.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:43 pm

Keep in mind that the Sony Ericsson J220a operates on only GSM 850 & 1900 frequencies - and therefore will not be usable in Europe and many other countries. For not much more than the price of unlocking this phone, you could likely find a used tri/quad-band phone that would give you the option for international roaming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.