Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Kensington 120W Univ Notebook AC/DC Supply $20

Kensington 120W Univ Notebook AC/DC Supply $20

Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Can your Dell brick also charge [AC, DC, Empower, or 12V] your cell phone [any brand], PDA, iPod or any other USB MP3 player and Sony digital camera - any two devices at once?
No and that would be the main reason to carry the adapter. However the one thing that seems to be missing is some type of USB adapter for the Kensington brick. That is, is there anything small that you can plug into the brick to give you a USB port to charge things off of?

For example I currently travel with a Treo, Ipod, Li-ion battery pack, and occasionally a Garmin Forerunner + dedicated USB charging cable.

The Treo, Ipod, and Li-ion battery pack all share a single USB charging cable. So right now I just bring along a light-weight USB charging brick when I don't travel with the laptop.

I would like to go to a one-device solution so I can just leave it permanently in my carry-on but that would require a USB port for the Kensington as the Li-ion battery pack only has a mini-USB plug for charging.

My camera runs off rechargable NiMH AA and I have a small travel charger that allows me to charge AA/AAA (useful for the flashlight and alarm clock).
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
No and that would be the main reason to carry the adapter. However the one thing that seems to be missing is some type of USB adapter for the Kensington brick. That is, is there anything small that you can plug into the brick to give you a USB port to charge things off of?
Is this what you are talking about?

Kensington Travel USB Adapter
Old Mar 29, 2007, 1:02 am

Is this what you are talking about?

Kensington Travel USB Adapter
Yes, I have one of those, but a little thinner. I've used both a Boxwave Versacharger Pro and now a US Modular PowerAid Mobile charger.

I was hoping for a tip that you could plug into the end of the Kensington 120W brick's cord.

The Kensington USB charger gets poor reviews.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by videomaker
The N29 tip (not T29) is listed as pre-order on the Kensington website, so apparently it hasn't been released yet. Set of 2 (N2 and N29 for IBM and Lenovo) for $9.99.
It's about time they got around to supporting IBM notebooks. When I switched to IBM last year I had to get a whole new travel kit because my Kensington brick didn't support my computer. It's not as though IBM is an obscure brand or something.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Kensington USB charger gets poor reviews.
Uhh...Did you actually read the negative reviews?

One lady used the USB adapter without a 120/220 converter in Ireland and then was surprised when her hairdryer blew a circuit.

The other negative reviewer was upset that the $40 USB adapter didn't also come with an power converter for the same price.

Come on, you can't blame Kensington for the stupidity of the user...
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:47 am

Uhh...Did you actually read the negative reviews?
Did you see the Spotlight reviews that state people had issues charging devices? I also don't have a need for a separate USB brick as I've already got 3 in my possession.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you see the Spotlight reviews that state people had issues charging devices? I also don't have a need for a separate USB brick as I've already got 3 in my possession.
Sure but there are many devices out there that can't charge thru USB or have issues with trickle charging - that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the product.

Hey, I believe that everyone needs to find what works best for him or her. If the Kensington stuff doesn't work for you then by all means get what does. But I have already been thru the whole iGo, Targus, Fellows thing and the Kensington has by far worked the best for me. I think a lot of their other stuff is crap but the power stuff works. ^

YMMV...
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Hmm, the Kensington was certainly lighter than my Sony brick and I personally prefer the flat volume approach as opposed to the brick approach.

But...

Can your Dell brick also charge [AC, DC, Empower, or 12V] your cell phone [any brand], PDA, iPod or any other USB MP3 player and Sony digital camera - any two devices at once?

Nuff said.

And yes, the Kensington cord winder is significantly smaller and lighter as it uses a flat cable - well worth the $20.

My Kensington Setup
That's quite a setup, anrkitec.

Just got my Kensington in and think it's a great deal.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by videomaker
The N29 tip (not T29) is listed as pre-order on the Kensington website, so apparently it hasn't been released yet. Set of 2 (N2 and N29 for IBM and Lenovo) for $9.99.
Just picked up the N29 (with the N2) for my Lenovo at Circuit City. $10.99

Have to be careful as it's in the same packaging marked "IBM" with just the N2.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:34 pm

In case anyone did get in on this deal it's listed again at Pacific Geek for $20. Link here. I can't really tell what they mean by refurbished aside from the fact that when my adapter showed up the cord wasn't completely neatly rolled up. Other than that it was essentially brand new.

Now if someone could just get me a hot tip on where to find a Treo and iPod tip..
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Now if someone could just get me a hot tip on where to find a Treo and iPod tip..
Got mine from amazon.com.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Does anyone have any extra IBM tip that they won't be using and want to sell or trade?
Old Apr 29, 2007, 5:58 pm
Original Member

Was it marked as Lenovo? I went to Circuit City and I could only find the IBM tip, N2 marked in IBM packaging, but I didn't recall seeing any Lenovo packaging.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
I sent an email to Kensington support 2 weeks ago asking where to get the tip since Circuit Cities around here don't have it and the Kensington website had a problem (now fixed). They replied asking for my address and the serial number: they sent me one for free. That's great service!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.