Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question for Shure earphone users

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Question for Shure earphone users

Ok.. so I made the plunge for the deluxe Shure e500PTH's (think that model # is correct). Trying to figure out the different fittings. I'm using the standard black rubber fittings and wondered if anyone out there who users Shure's earphones uses the other supplied fittings and why? I know there's the rubber coned one, the yellow foam ones, and others but haven't figured them out Any insight is appreciated....
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:59 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I like the comply tips

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/cofotipeco1p.html

I can put them in once and leave them in. Just did that on an HKG-ORD flight.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
I use the foam tips which work very well also^

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-E1-E3-E4-E...QQcmdZViewItem

you can probably find cheaper ones, if this is what you want to use.... just showing you the product
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:52 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
I use the triple flange fittings. I've found they provide the most isolation for me and are very comfortable too... but they took some getting used to.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've settled on the foam tips. I tried the supplied black plastic tips and bought a set of triple-flanged tips which didn't work at all.

Vital to a proper fit is correct insertion. I've shared the proper method with many folks and they always come back with "Wow, that really makes a difference"

http://ehs.sc.edu/modules/Noise/plugs.htm
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm - 3rd bold heading
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
The new black foam tips are the best. I have tried all the Shure tips, including the triple flanges.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
I use the triple flange tips.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:59 am

I use the foam inserts and occassionly the smaller black TPU inserts. I like that these IEM's are low profile, so for me the triple flange stick out a bit too far.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
Originally Posted by dulcamara
I like the comply tips

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/cofotipeco1p.html

I can put them in once and leave them in. Just did that on an HKG-ORD flight.
The only thing that works for me with my Shure's are the yellow foam tips, and then only when properly inserted and aligned. Am curios about these comply tips. Have not heard of them. How are they better? They appear to have a different shape. Being foam, I surmise that you sqeeze them before insertion (like the yellow foam tips), correct? What makes them work better for you or are they just somehow more convenient.

On long trips, say to Asia, I've noticed the yellow foam tips get itchy and uncomfortable at times.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:15 am

Programs: UA PA, *S (UA)
So far I have found the yellow foam sleeves to provide the best sound and comfort for me, but I am curious about the Comply ones referred to in a prior post above as well as the new black foam sleeves which come from Shure I assume.

Would also like to hear some more comments concerning how/why/whether the Complys are better than the yellow foam sleeves.

Also, so far I haven't been able to find a source for the black foam sleeves, which sound good just for the color alone, but I wonder if they are improved in some other way beyond merely the color. I looked for them but did not see them for sale on Shure's site.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
The new black foams have a tapered shape and have a smooth surface, not rough like the yellow ones. They are more comfortable and stay cleaner longer. They are supposed to be commercially available this month, but you can try calling Shure and see if they will send you some.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:51 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Wow! sounds like Redburgundy and I are the only ones who like the triple flanges! I really find them quite comfy and they do an amazing job blocking outside sounds...

I have a good friend thats an ENT and I have to go see him professional soon... I'm 1/2 tempted to get him to fit me for custom inserts... but that might be over the top.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
I use the triple flange fittings. I've found they provide the most isolation for me and are very comfortable too... but they took some getting used to.
Same. Use them for an hour or two at a time to break them in when they are new. Once they are broken in they are the best fit and sound I have found.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by DESMOINESguy
On long trips, say to Asia, I've noticed the yellow foam tips get itchy and uncomfortable at times.
Ditto for the complys. I get about 15-20K airmiles on a pair before I have to
replace them. I know it's time when they either become stiff or start to itch.

The orange foam tips were too stiff for me.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

cool... saw the black foam inserts... see them listed for like 10-15 for a 5 pack over the internet. i'll call shure on monday and see what's up with them. possibly order them if I can. Of course if they wanna send me a 5 pack for being a loyal customer, i'd say yes as well.... 3rd pair overall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.