Search

Mac/Windows USB hard drive question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: Dirt USair, Gold Hilton, Gold Marriott, Platinum Hyatt
Mac/Windows USB hard drive question

Hi folks,

Got a question that I'm having trouble with tonight.

I just bought an iMac to do some basic video editing and I would like to back up the project to a USB Hard drive. The iMovie project is a bit over 16 gigabytes with all of the individual components.

I bought a USB 300 GB hard drive and I was also hoping to use this drive to move files between my iMac and my Windows XP machine.

From what I'm finding out, the USB hard drive is formatted FAT32 and the iMac will not allow anything to be written over 4 GB. If I format the drive as NTFS, the iMac won't be able to write to it at all.

Has anybody developed a workaround to this USB hard drive problem short of setting up a network to move files between Mac and PC?

Thasnk for any help!!
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:12 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HomeToPit
From what I'm finding out, the USB hard drive is formatted FAT32 and the iMac will not allow anything to be written over 4 GB.
The 4GB limitation applies to each individual file. You mentioned that your entire project is 16GB in size, but are there actually files in your project that are larger than 4GB?
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:15 pm
B2O

Originally Posted by HomeToPit
Has anybody developed a workaround to this USB hard drive problem short of setting up a network to move files between Mac and PC?
I'm afraid there is none.

The problem with failes larger that 4Gb is a limitation of FAT32 and unfortunantly, by default, Mac OS X does not write to a NTFS volume although it can read it.

There are some linux based NTFS drivers that also work on the Mac, but you need to compile these locally and edit some core system files. Your on your own there.

If you need to transfer things between both machines, your best option is to format the drives into a variety of paritions, obviously formatting one FAT32 and calling it 'Transfer'.

Failing that, you can also install the Virtual Machine from Parallels <http://www.parallels.com/> which can mount your NTFS drive succesfully and share files between the two operating systems.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 10:49 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
A couple things.

1) You can re-format your USB drive using the Disk Utility. Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility. This will fix any problems you will have with writing files to the drive

2) If you are serious about editing video, you need to be aware that USB is not a great interface for outputing / storing video. The transfer rate is not high enough and you will more than likely experience some dropped frames. Firewire is the best of the economical solution for editing on external drives. Just a heads up though.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:24 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I think the OP wants to use the USB solution to backup and move files, not necessarily use the USB drive as the base filesystem to edit with/upon.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:46 pm

Doesn't USB2.0 have a transfer rate greater than firewire?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dizzy
Doesn't USB2.0 have a transfer rate greater than firewire?

Does it really matter? USB 2.0 does 480Mb/s and Firewire does 400Mb/s and both are faster than most commercially available drives anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
what if he connects the drive to the pc, and connects to the pc via smb?

or, what if he installs 2003 server on a box and uses file services for macintosh.

Those are the only things i can think of that might possibly work.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yes, yes

So, I found about a 10% drop in transfer rates using usb2.0, compared to FW on an external drive I use. I tried it on both a pc, and the mac.

What I ended up doing, was very simply creating a second partition on the external, USING the MAC to create an HFS files system partition. This is just for backing up the mac, which the external HD is connected to all the time. I can then use the drive to backup items on the PC, of course it writes to the NTFS partition, (maybe I left it at FAT32, cannot recall)

If I need items on the PC, that are on the MAC HFS partition, I transfer them over the network, but since that partition is mostly idvd, imovie, and mac system backups, I never ever really do that.

The disk utility software on the mac works fine for creating the second partition.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Location: Dirt USair, Gold Hilton, Gold Marriott, Platinum Hyatt
Thanks for all the great replies!

I think that my primary need right now is just to back up the Mac. I'm kind of a nervous nellie when it comes to back ups. I think that I'm going to format the external hard drive as Mac HFS and just copy the iMovie projects over.

This will let me sleep at night for this project

I like the solution for a bit later involving the parallels solution. Maybe not on the iMac, but I am really considering buying a PowerBook Pro when Leopard comes out later this year. I would probably goose it up with maximum RAM and run Mac and Windows on it.

The place where I bought the Imac has a good trade in policy or I'll Ebay the iMac.

Again, thanks for the replies...you folks are great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.