Wiki Posts
Search

What are you favorite open source apps?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
What are you favorite open source apps?

Just thought I'd start a fluff thread....I'm interested in what open source apps people are using and which ones they really like.

For me I'm fairly tied to Firefox- which I suspect is quickly becoming the norm for anyone techy (and gaining traction with non-technophiles too).

I have grown to love Thunderbird on the Mac... its so small and lightweight and fast that I'm not sure how I ever used Entourage or Mail.app (let alone outlook on the PC).

In response to a personal challenge I'm trying to go all of 2007 with out using Microsoft Office on my home computers. I'll have to say, while the UI isn't as sharp, I've found OpenOffice to be great.

So, what is everyone else using that they really like?
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:37 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I have the suite of applications from portableapps.com installed on a large USB drive. I use openoffice and Firefox the most.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
I have the suite of applications from portableapps.com installed on a large USB drive. I use openoffice and Firefox the most.
I just bought a thumb drive just for the reason...its such a great idea!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
If you like small/lightweight apps and use a Mac, try the open-source Camino browser as an alternative to FireFox. Beta 1.1, out for less than a week, has been very stable for me. A few pages with weird code in the background don't work 100 percent correctly (they do in Safari, haven't tried FireFox on them) but most do including FT. For those, it's really zippy. Lots of nice features, too.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
If you like small/lightweight apps and use a Mac, try the open-source Camino browser as an alternative to FireFox. Beta 1.1, out for less than a week, has been very stable for me. A few pages with weird code in the background don't work 100 percent correctly (they do in Safari, haven't tried FireFox on them) but most do including FT. For those, it's really zippy. Lots of nice features, too.
I've used Camino a lot and it is fast...but I wish they had a build based on firefox 2.x
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
My favs are:

Firefox
Tunderbird
CMS Made Simple
OpenOffice
Trixbox
Mysql
Truecrypt
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: WN, Marriott, Choice
Open Office! While lacking a few minor bells and whistles of the similar MS products, it is quite efficient and easy to use.

I run it on a *nix box and also on an XP laptop. I have it on one of my desktops, but mostly use Office2003 there. Certain .ppt and .doc files created in OpenOffice don't look exactly the same when opened in MS products. In most cases, this isn't an issue, but could be important during collabertive projects.

All my databasing is done via MySql.... windows and *nix. Platform agnostic is a major bonus. I have a windows port of apache, but run the production server on linux. You can have IIS.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jeffie
Open Office! While lacking a few minor bells and whistles of the similar MS products, it is quite efficient and easy to use.

I run it on a *nix box and also on an XP laptop. I have it on one of my desktops, but mostly use Office2003 there. Certain .ppt and .doc files created in OpenOffice don't look exactly the same when opened in MS products. In most cases, this isn't an issue, but could be important during collabertive projects.

All my databasing is done via MySql.... windows and *nix. Platform agnostic is a major bonus. I have a windows port of apache, but run the production server on linux. You can have IIS.
I've become a huge fan of OpenOffice myself. I'm trying to turn more friends and family on to it as a very viable alternative to MS Office (although if you can get the student/teacher version for $100 then thats not too bad).

As for the server side, I'm totally with you. My goal is to be MS free here at home by the end of 07...I'm not sure what ever possessed me to run IIS.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Openoffice
Firefox
Truecrypt
Launchy
Rocketdock

Last edited by Madhouse24; Mar 2, 2007 at 2:38 pm
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Firefox
AdiumX (for Mac)
Thunderbird
JungleDisk
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

I actually discovered a few new goodies from this thread...I'd been meaning to try AdiumX for a while and was glad to be reminded of it.

I have to admit a slightly shameless motive, I was working on compiling a list and wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything major.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
My favs are:

Firefox
Tunderbird
CMS Made Simple
OpenOffice
Trixbox
Mysql
Truecrypt
Is thunderbird compatible Mozzila mail client? In otherwords if you installed Thunderbird, can you migrate your saved mail from mozilla mail clinet to Thunderbird without hiccoughs?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Is thunderbird compatible Mozzila mail client? In otherwords if you installed Thunderbird, can you migrate your saved mail from mozilla mail clinet to Thunderbird without hiccoughs?
Have not had any issues migrating email accounts in the past. Their website states,

Thunderbird includes an auto migration tool that imports your Mozilla 1.x or Netscape 7.x profile directly into Thunderbird without you having to do anything.

However don't know about any hiccups.

Firefox & Thunderbird are my favorites.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by World Traveller
Have not had any issues migrating email accounts in the past. Their website states,

Thunderbird includes an auto migration tool that imports your Mozilla 1.x or Netscape 7.x profile directly into Thunderbird without you having to do anything.

However don't know about any hiccups.

Firefox & Thunderbird are my favorites.
A few years ago, I had moved from Netscaape to Mozilla. Mozilla had migrated my all my e-mail to mozilla effortlessly. My kids, 9 and 13 have been using Firefox. Thank you for your remark. I just downloaded Thunderbird. It took no effort to migrate all my e-mail to Thunderbird.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:52 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
I actually discovered a few new goodies from this thread...I'd been meaning to try AdiumX for a while and was glad to be reminded of it.

I have to admit a slightly shameless motive, I was working on compiling a list and wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything major.
Spacebass having a shameless motive. How am I not surprised.

A thread like this is a valuable learning tool and I really don't care if you did it because of some shameless motive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.