Your phone or your employer's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your phone or your employer's?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:00 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Our company is fine with us using our cell phone (or company calling card) to call home when on business trips - or for that matter for them to call us on our cell phones.

Ofcourse Skyping )with video) with me family is much more fun and satisfying
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by timothyp_787
I treat it like per diem meal charges; when you travel, most companies will recognize that you are being inconvenienced and forced to spend money you might not otherwise, so you are allowed a certain daily allowance for meals / hotel. The amount can vary, but the principle is the same -- enough to eat on, but not enough to go to a 5-star restaurant every night. For me, using a cell phone is the same; I'm away on company business, I should be able to use company resources to stay in touch with my family....up to a point.
I disagree completely. I rarely eat in 5-star restaurants. I expect 5* stay in touch capabilities. We switched from unlimited company owned phones to them giving us the money to pay for them. I was apprehensive at first but it has worked out. I spend over 180 nights away from home in a year, I expect them to let me use my phone like I am at home. My of my friends and family use Verizon (which I do too), so I try and take advantages of unlimited mobile to mobile. The last women I loved, she didn't have Verizon, and let's say I talked to her more than I thought I did but they were paying the bill outright then. Me not being there had to be a factor into us not making it.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:17 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
My work blackberry is the only phone I have. No home phone. No other calling methods. But I've been told this is one of the "perks" of the job.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
In my last job, they made us pro-rate the amount that would be reimbursed and only paid for business calls.

In my new job, I approve all of my employees phone bills for the entire amount, regardless of whether they are "business' or personal calls. I figure that if they are going to be away from home 150+ days per year, I am not going to nickel and dime them on this kind of picky stuff.

I do have problems though when people try to expense "family share" plans that include their spouses phone!
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:40 am
adr

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, IC RA
If you are away from home at night and on weekends, I can't imagine how an employer could say you weren't entitled to use a work phone to contact your family & friends or whoever (but maybe not the late-night chatlines)
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I set the travel and phone policy for my company, and I do not limit the use of company-issued phones (actually SmartPhones). The amount of time spent on personal calls is far less than the amount of time spent on business calls. Further, the amount of off-the-clock time spent on work-related issues is far greater than the amount of work time spent dealing with personal issues. I would only intervene if there as a clear abuse as observed by me or others, and that has never happened.

IMHO FTers should always be included in setting travel, entertainment, and other travel-related policies!^
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
our corporate policy is that a short call to home everyday can be expensed. However, the policy has not been updated in the last 5 years or so, and they're now reimbursing $60/month for a cell phone. That covers almost my entire monthly bill, but they're doing it more with the idea that I'm available via phone for them, so they're willing to pay for it.

Thus, I don't feel bad at all about using my cell phone for personal calls.

Int'l, I'll still use SKYPE.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:01 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by UALfromMSN
our corporate policy is that a short call to home everyday can be expensed.
Int'l, I'll still use SKYPE.
Same here though; both here and at home, we all seem so busy that a 10 minute call on Saturday is the most we manage at the moment. Given that my customer gives me a nice fat internet connection from my laptop, I use Skype whenever I'm in the office (and sometimes go to the office in the evening if required for a conference call back home where they are 12 hours behind).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.