Wiki Posts
Search

looking for a good GPS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
looking for a good GPS

So, im looking for a GPS device. Was looking for some recommendations. I want a device that is very portable. Meaning i will not have any issues bringing it with me as i travel. It would be nice if it was able to pick up traffic. but that is not a necessity. Also, looking to ideally keep the price under say $300. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:49 pm

Not if you're looking to stay under $300. At that price you're looking at something along the lines of a Garmin eTrex Legend with a color screen. It's a tiny screen and you'll have to pay for more detailed mapping software. I have this unit for camping/boating, and I can't imagine using it in my car. Way too small a screen.

I recently bought a unit for travel, I ended up settling on a Garmin Nuvi660, which is the big brother of the Nuvi350. I heard nothing but good things about both of those units, I just wanted the slightly bigger screen,the bluetooth functionality and the FM modulator. They both can do traffic alerts (which is very cool). Even if you go with the 350, you're still talking in the neighborhood of $550. The ability to travel with either of these units is no problem at all...they're each about the size of a BlackBerry (a little thicker perhaps), and you need to bring along the suction cup mount and the cigarette lighter cord. The whole show fits quite easily in my laptop bag (along with the laptop and sundries).
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by njxbean
So, im looking for a GPS device. Was looking for some recommendations. I want a device that is very portable. Meaning i will not have any issues bringing it with me as i travel. It would be nice if it was able to pick up traffic. but that is not a necessity. Also, looking to ideally keep the price under say $300. Anyone have any suggestions?
This has been discussed in several threads threads recently. This has some discussion and links to a couple of others.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659243

I'm a Garmin fan, my C330 has guided me all over the country, small size, accurate maps. I also like the looks of their 500 series. Some of the 500 series will do traffic, but will be above the $300 range. But there are others out there.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njxbean
OfficeDepot has the TomTom ONE on sale this week for $249, it has traffic with a compatible cellphone.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?...g=true&An=text

Or, spend $349 for the more advanced TomTom 510

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?...g=true&An=text

If your Officedepot doesn't have it, print it out and get it at Bestbuy since they will pricematch.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker
This has been discussed in several threads threads recently. This has some discussion and links to a couple of others.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659243

I'm a Garmin fan, my C330 has guided me all over the country, small size, accurate maps. I also like the looks of their 500 series. Some of the 500 series will do traffic, but will be above the $300 range. But there are others out there.

Another vote for the Garmin C330. Have it and a Garmin Nuvi 360. C330 is excellent and can be found for around $300. Excellent unit!
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For anyone interested: Nuvi 350 is $350 from costco website this month, I think I am gonna get one after all...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.