Wiki Posts
Search

A great data recovery tool

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A great data recovery tool

Though slightly OT, I'm sure many FTers have, from time to time, had a drive crash with data that they wanted to recover (I'm going through this process now for the nth time). Long ago, I did a search for the best recovery tools and I thought I'd share what I found.

I use a software tool called Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTS. This thing is extraordinary. As long as the computer will recognize the drive, this program can salvage data from it. It doesn't matter whether the computer thinks the drive is unformatted, or even unpartitioned. Stellar Phoenix will, if necessary, do a bit-by-bit search and, usually, be able to resurrect most of what you lost. It even reconstructs directory trees so you can, literally, pick up where you left off. Right now, it's managed to salvage close to 70 gigabytes of data on an 80 gig Seagate drive that failed completely (Windows reports it as being partitioned but unformatted -- as a side not, I have a stack of failed drives I've accumulated over the years and I notice they're almost all Seagates, but that's another thread )

Stellar Phoenix is relatively inexpensive ($99 US) and a much better alternative to costly professional data recovery services. I haven't tried it under Vista, but it works like a charm on XP.

And, no, I have nothing to do with this product, except that I use it, it's saved my behind a number of times, and I thought I'd share this with everyone here on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.