Wiki Posts
Search

Sirius Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Sirius Satellite Radio

Three quick questions for you knowledgeable folk:

1. Where will I be able to purchase one?
2. I'll need to pay a monthly subscription, yes?
3. A silly one, but will it work outside the U.S.?

Thank you all!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:10 am

Programs: B6, DL, UA
1. Many electronic retailers in the USA and Canada, or buy it online.

2. Yes

3. Sirius also works in parts of Canada and Mexico.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lineman
3. Sirius also works in parts of Canada and Mexico.
Dang!

I was hoping to use it in England.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by hairpeace
Dang!

I was hoping to use it in England.
The satellite coverage does not extend very far past the US borders, though you might be able to get a US-based account and stream the music via the Internet.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
You can actually pay up an annual or even multiyear I think subscription if you want, but otherwise yes this is correct.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
If you would like to use a satellite radio service in England, but they are currently upgrading the system and will be down for some time.

http://www.worldspace.com/

As for service outside the US, Sirius should work in some parts of Mexico and across Canada.

XM (competitor for the time being) will work as far south as Accapulco and in some parts of the Carribean. I've used in the Bahamas as well as Canada.

Both services will be available online though.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
I have had a US based Sirius account and have been using it in Canada for 3 years now. It works perfectly. I have heard also that they don't work in the UK or Europe for that matter.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MBM3
The satellite coverage does not extend very far past the US borders, though you might be able to get a US-based account and stream the music via the Internet.
How would the streaming be done?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You just log into the Sirius website and launch their player. It then will play what appears to be the same channels as you would receive. I assume it's the same music at the same time but I've never compared with what's coming through my receiver to verify!

In fact, I think they sometimes offer a free sample of the service from the website.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:51 pm

In addition, there is a different company that offers satellite radio over other parts of the world - http://www.worldspace.com
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
You just log into the Sirius website and launch their player. It then will play what appears to be the same channels as you would receive. I assume it's the same music at the same time but I've never compared with what's coming through my receiver to verify!

In fact, I think they sometimes offer a free sample of the service from the website.
Thanks for the reply.

Is the reception over the internet good?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Just to amplify on what was said. If you subscribe to Sirius that includes the ability to listen, after logging in with your account and password, to Sirius over the internet as well as off the satellite. As far as reception, while there are times when the internets are a bit slowish, most of the time it is as good or better than the radio reception in my opinion. It would mostly depend on the quality of the sound in the device (computer or whatever) that you are using to listen.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Just to amplify on what was said. If you subscribe to Sirius that includes the ability to listen, after logging in with your account and password, to Sirius over the internet as well as off the satellite.
My understanding is that you can only get a subset of the service though internet streaming. Basically the Sirius programmed music channels only, not all 130 odd channels.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Bytepusher
My understanding is that you can only get a subset of the service though internet streaming. Basically the Sirius programmed music channels only, not all 130 odd channels.
I think it might depend on the subscription plan but you are probably correct at least with the plan we have. But I think it is more than the music alone. I can get Howard Stern for instance and some other non-music programming but perhaps not all. Some of the plans allow you to receive over WiFi now I think and they might have more channels. I havent paid that much attention since the stations we listen to are available on the internet.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think it might depend on the subscription plan but you are probably correct at least with the plan we have. But I think it is more than the music alone. I can get Howard Stern for instance and some other non-music programming but perhaps not all. Some of the plans allow you to receive over WiFi now I think and they might have more channels. I havent paid that much attention since the stations we listen to are available on the internet.
Thank you for the clarification.

How much are you paying per month?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.