Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I am unable to hear the sound of my video clips on VISTA!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Air Chairman's Preffered/Hertz President's Circle

For some odd reason I am unable to listen to the sound of my video clips on my brand new HPDV9230. I chatted with HP Tech Support and they told I needed to download a couple of drivers.

She told me the following: Vista Basic and Vista Business editions do not have the correct MPEG-2 audio codec installed. Microsoft says the codec may be purchased from the link, http://www.wmplugins.com/ItemList.aspx?typeid=8

What do you think? Does this make sense? I don't want to download anything that will screw up my computer. I have no idea which one I should choose.

I imported the video clips from my Sony digital camera. I am able to hear the sound of the sample video clips.

Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
I haven't personally run into that problem on Vista, but it sounds plausable. MPEG is a propritary format and there is licensing involved...
Try downloading VLC Player- www.videolan.org and palying the same clips. I'm not suggesting that as a fulltime solution, but it would give you an indication. VLC has its own codec pack built in, so if it can play the files with sound, then that may indicate that HP is telling you the truth. If you still dont have sound, then it may indicate that the sound card drivers need tweaking or that the files themself has some kind of problem.

the XP version of VLC works with Vista, but you'll lose Areo while its running
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try one if the k-lite codec packs

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm
Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The diagnosis you have received is correct. Vista requires a lot of updated drivers to work with both old and new equipment, and so be prepared to look for drivers updates early and often.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wilbur
The diagnosis you have received is correct. Vista requires a lot of updated drivers to work with both old and new equipment, and so be prepared to look for drivers updates early and often.
\

This has nothing to do with drivers. Most versions of an OS only come with limited AV codecs. A driver is not the same as a Codec.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:31 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Microsoft fined $1.5 billion on MP3 patent abuse

Microsoft fined $1.5 billion on MP3 patent abuse

http://news.google.com/news?q=micros...=news&ct=title
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Update....

I was with HP over the phone for over an hour...it seems that VISTA Basic or Ultimate does not have the codecs installed; only VISTA Premium does.
The only thing that Microsoft has supposedly told HP is to refer their customers to wmplugins.com

I was unable to see the videos on Windows Media Center, but able to on Windows Media Player and QuickPlay, they apparently do not play .avi files.

I honestly have no idea what to do.....this honestly sucks!!!! I hope that when I edit the videos and burn them to a DVD they will be converted so that I can be able to view and hear them.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:24 pm

Utimate is supposed to include everything included in all the other versions, plus more. Hard to believe Ultimate doesn't include those codecs if Home Premium does. Maybe you meant Vista Business?

-David
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:02 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Utimate is supposed to include everything included in all the other versions, plus more. Hard to believe Ultimate doesn't include those codecs if Home Premium does. Maybe you meant Vista Business?

-David
I think "Ultimate" is a misnomer... even XP requires a 3rd party codec to play a DVD (if you haven seen this, just pop a movie into a fresh XP install).. its not atypical historically, but it is surprising considering that OSX ships with a codec and many linux distros ship with libdvd or libdecs (ok, questionably hacks in and of themselves)...

I have ultimate and when I tried to play a DVD it identifies it as a data disc...VLC solved that
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
I think "Ultimate" is a misnomer... even XP requires a 3rd party codec to play a DVD (if you haven seen this, just pop a movie into a fresh XP install).. its not atypical historically, but it is surprising considering that OSX ships with a codec and many linux distros ship with libdvd or libdecs (ok, questionably hacks in and of themselves)...

I have ultimate and when I tried to play a DVD it identifies it as a data disc...VLC solved that
I wasn't disagreeing that he needs Codecs. I was disagreeing with what HP told him. That made no sense to me at all.

-David
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vmrfsps
I was with HP over the phone for over an hour...it seems that VISTA Basic or Ultimate does not have the codecs installed; only VISTA Premium does.
The only thing that Microsoft has supposedly told HP is to refer their customers to wmplugins.com

I was unable to see the videos on Windows Media Center, but able to on Windows Media Player and QuickPlay, they apparently do not play .avi files.

I honestly have no idea what to do.....this honestly sucks!!!! I hope that when I edit the videos and burn them to a DVD they will be converted so that I can be able to view and hear them.
I am sorry I typed the versions incorrectly.....VISTA Basic and Premium do not have the codecs instald; I meant to say that only VISTA Ultimate does...sorry about that.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like I posted earlier, just install one of the codec packs, they contain every codec you could possibly need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.