Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Seeking: Really tiny earphones for sleeping

Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:01 am
Original Poster

I am looking for really small earphones that are soft (or attaches to earplugs), the ones I have now are all to hard on the end to comfortably wear when I sleep on my side. I would prefer no hard plastic parts at all, atleast not outside of the earlobe.

SQ is almost entirely irrelevant since I tend to listen to spoken word material at night.

If this fails someone might have a recommendation for a good very directional under pillow speaker.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any of the $1-$50 earbuds work fine for me but I prefer the much bigger non-earbuds over-the-ear Bose QC2.

MisterNice
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Shure Ec2 with the yellow foam tips.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:04 am

Take a look at the entire Shure line - http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...ries/index.htm
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: AA GLD; UA 2P; HHonors GLD; SPG
My recommendations would be the Shure E3C, E4C, E500 and Westone UM-2. The Shure E2C is, IMO, a little on the bulky side, and the E5C is extremely uncomfortable compared to the others. Ultimate Ears models should not be taken into consideration because their design juts out of your ears at an angle that prohibits side-sleeping.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Etymotics e6i. They are much smaller than any of the Shures.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Etymotic 6i looks promising

Any overseas-friendly place that sells them for a decent price?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Ety's are smaller but stick directly out, whereas the Shure's lay against your ear surface. I think the Shure's would be easier to sleep with. Actually, I know they are for me, as I have both. I just stuck the Shures in my ear and put a flat surface up against it - it rested against the circumfrence of the ear and didn't even touch the earphone.

Those are the E3c's. If the 2's are bigger/bulkier, which would seem odd, then the 3s are a better recommendation. I recommended the 2's as the OP stated the sound quality wasn't of high importance.

A custom ear mold could be ideal, but a bit pricey for the purpose.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fredl
Any overseas-friendly place that sells them for a decent price?
Etymotic claims these people have them: http://www.ljudmakarn.se/

But they are not listed on their site.

Amazon may be your best bet:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Etymotic-ER-...&s=electronics

Especially given their liberal return policy.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
Etymotics e6i. They are much smaller than any of the Shures.
The Shure E3C is smaller than the ER6i. The ER6i is also designed to stick straight out of your ear, whereas the E3C is designed to lie flush with the ear. IMO, the ER6i would be a horrible choice.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:25 am
Original Poster

It looks like I will have to try them out before I buy.

The ones I currently use for sleeping is Sony mdr-nx1 which is ok, but a bit to stiff on the ear.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Since you mentioned the listening material is almost always spoken word, perhaps a single mono earphone like what you used to get with shirt pocket transistor radios. I listen to NPR or BBC news when I'm trying to go to sleep, I'm a side sleeper and use a mono earphone in the ear facing away from the pillow. Radio Shack has these in several varieties for $2-$3. The more expensive version is like a single earbud which fits in the ear. The cheaper one sticks out so does not meet your no hard plastic criteria.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:41 am
Original Poster

A mono earpiece would work, I tend to change sides quite a few times during the night so it would still have to fill my other criterias. One would think that it wouldn't be hard to make a tiny driver to fit inside an earplug for this purpose. I don't need high volume, I even have to use an old firmware for my player to get the lowest possible volume output.

I often listen to NPR at night as well.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:51 am

The advantages of going IEM are twofold. First, IEMs are inherently isolating, an IMMENSELY useful trait during travel. Second, most IEMs come with soft tips that literally meld into the shape of your ear canal. Very comfortable.

Sony offers a model labeled the EX71 that is extremely soft all around. It's a tad bass heavy, but highly recommended if you are on a budget and don't require audiophile-level sound quality.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:26 am
Original Poster

I think that the EX71 is almost exactly the same as the one I have (if you disregard the nextstrap design).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.