Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Looking to change phones/wireless providers (NYC) - suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I've been with Verizon for two years, and they're fine, but if another provider is better/cheaper, I'd look into changing. I've discovered that Verizon's $100 credit for phones for subsequent two-year contracts is a joke, because you can get the same post-credit price for their phones if you simply buy it online. (Or at least, that's true in the case of a Blackberry 8703.)

Also, which provider has the best phones in terms of bells/whistles and call quality? Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:30 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I switched to t-mobile prepay close to two years ago and have loved it. My usage is quite low and I've never been anywhere in the New York City area that I wanted to make a call that I couldn't.

I spend in a year about what I did in a month and a half with AT&T then Cingular.

I am like the most basic cell phone user though, nothing fancy, I want the phone to make and receive telephone calls and every now and then a text message.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
i have been looking at phones for the last 2 weeks. wanting to consolidate my nextel blackberry and sprint cell phone. i have settled on the cingular 8525. seems like the best thing out there in terms of smartphones/pocket pcs. one thing i also found. If your going to buy a phone, either buy from amazon or price match the price on amazon at a cingular store. They are MUCH cheaper on amazon. For example, the blackjack is $199 on cingulars website with a 2 year contract. On amazon, it is $74. My phone the 8525 is $399 on cingular, $225 on amazon.

WIth cingulars 3g network, i think its a no brainer. especially in nyc where the coverage is great!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
I switched to t-mobile prepay close to two years ago and have loved it. My usage is quite low and I've never been anywhere in the New York City area that I wanted to make a call that I couldn't.

I spend in a year about what I did in a month and a half with AT&T then Cingular.

I am like the most basic cell phone user though, nothing fancy, I want the phone to make and receive telephone calls and every now and then a text message.
My phone usage is also low, it's the extras I use!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njxbean
i have been looking at phones for the last 2 weeks. wanting to consolidate my nextel blackberry and sprint cell phone. i have settled on the cingular 8525. seems like the best thing out there in terms of smartphones/pocket pcs. one thing i also found. If your going to buy a phone, either buy from amazon or price match the price on amazon at a cingular store. They are MUCH cheaper on amazon. For example, the blackjack is $199 on cingulars website with a 2 year contract. On amazon, it is $74. My phone the 8525 is $399 on cingular, $225 on amazon.

WIth cingulars 3g network, i think its a no brainer. especially in nyc where the coverage is great!
I think I'm going to try this. Thanks, much obliged.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Cingular service is much better than T-Mobile in NYC.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
so i just came from getting the 8525. I got it price matched from amazon at the cingular store. final cost..... $175 after rebate!!!!!! for a $600 phone! im very excited!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.