Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

know a nice 802.11n, mimo, gige, QOS router?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD

So, i'm just going to throw this out there for the gang, maybe someone can help?

I'm looking to upgrade to a new router in house, have bunch of macs added with 802.11n, so I'd like to get something to offer that.

AND, I use VOIP, so I want to be able to FINALLY put QOS on the VOIP gizmo,

AND, I'd like something with MIMO

AND, the rest of the network is GIGE, so I'd LIKE to have it be a GIGE router?

But, I cannot find one such. Anyone?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
ne1

anyone?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont even read reviews about pre-n. I believe the final 802.11n standards have not been set yet so the current pre-n stuff may not function as advertised when they are published.

MisterNice
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
I'm not on top of the pre-n and draft-n stuff myself.
I did notice that Apple's new Airport Extreme was marketed as n ... no pre or draft... not sure if that means it was ratified and I just didn't notice...

I'm sure there is a device out there for you, but I'd like to toss out my usual suggestion: build you own.

With an old $60 PC (just got one myself off ebay) and several $15 Ethernet cards (or gigE) then you can use something like IPcop, or my personal fav, PFsense and build you own. I'm fairly partial to the QoS and VoIP support thats included with PFsense...Then you'd just need an 802.11 access point... In the end it would be more expensive....around $250 said and done, but you'd get a lot more flexibility and it might be the only solution that fully meets your needs.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
802.11n has been finalized by the working group, but it will take much longer for full IEEE ratification. It is likely that the standard is now finished, yet it is possible for future changes to force upgrades of some sort. So many of the consumer products are scrambling to offer compliance with draft 2.0 of 802.11n MIMO which they believe will be the final standard. These products should be available soon.

Spacebass's idea about using an old PC as a router is a good one. You can customize it to do exactly what you want. You will soon be able to buy a compliant draft 2.0 MIMO PCI board for your PC and you can of course buy GigE cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.