Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to Vista?

Upgrading to Vista?

Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:03 am

Initially, I had planned to wait for a few months until all of my apps and peripherals had full Vista support. However, a recent sound card upgrade gone bad and other sporadic problems had me facing a full XP reinstall anyway, so I decided to order Vista today and expect to reinstall tomorrow. I am upgrading from XP Pro to Home Premium on my home computer, therefore must do a clean install (which is fine with me, since I was going to do it with XP anyway).

My system is a homemade AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 2 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon AIW X800 graphics, Creative Soundblaster XFi Platinum, integrated nForce3 ethernet and a number of USB Peripherals - Logitech Harmony Remote, HP Scanjet Scanner, ATI Remote Wonder, a Logitech webcam, and a 5-in-1 card reader/USB hub.

The software which I primarily use is Windows Live Messenger, Firefox, Wordperfect Mail, Wordperfect X3 suite, Winamp, MS Office Pro 2003, ATI Multimedia Centre, Panda Antivirus and Firewall suite and the APC Powerchute software due to numerous power outages in my area.

Today I went to download Vista versions of drivers and software and here's what I've found: It appears that HP will not be releasing scanner drivers until late February or March, however I hardly use it and won't miss it. The Logitech Harmony Remote also does not have a Vista version but I do have a laptop that I will keep XP on so I can update it off of that for now. The ATI Multimedia Centre (which I use to watch DVDs, downloaded video and cable TV) is not supported under Vista although ATI will be releasing a new product called Catalyst Media Center shortly - this is what I will miss the most.

In terms of software, Panda has not released a Vista version of my antivirus suite but has temporarily provided a Vista version of their Antivirus only product which will work for now. I don't see an Vista version of the APC software but it says it will be supported soon. I have downloaded final versions of the drivers for my video card and webcam. Beta versions of Vista drivers are available for my sound card and ethernet controller. The Wordperfect suite is supposed to work fine, with a Vista-optimized patch on the way. I imagine Office will work fine as well although I have also ordered Office 2007 home edition to upgrade the primary applications.

So apart from being able to watch TV and DVDs on my system for now, I don't anticipate any loss in functionality. I hope that the upgrade will get rid of the gremlins, make the soundcard work properly (I have tried it in another computer where it worked fine) and hopefully make everything more efficient. I will post my upgrade experience.

Separately, I am responsible for 30-some computers at work which I have recently replaced with new units and am eligible for Office and Vista upgrades. My current plan is to upgrade them to Office 2007 within a few months as I've heard quite a few good things about it but wait for about a year for Vista Business as we use quite a bit of specialized software that is currently not Vista compatible but that will be upgraded or replaced over the next year. Although I am responsible for supporting our computers and network, it is not my primary role and this is the first time I'll be doing something on this scale. Any ideas about what the best way to approach this upgrade is in terms of making the upgrade seamless for the 50 or so employees which use Office?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 4:02 am

Does the x800 AIW support Aero? As I recall, you need the 1k line for the vertex shaders. But I could be wrong.

-David
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:08 pm

I'm sitting and patiently waiting for my new VIAO with Vista, which should be here any moment, I head off on a month long round the world trip on Saturday, so will be organising my files and learning the in's and outs on the first leg from Melbourne to LAX.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by If it's tuesday
I'm sitting and patiently waiting for my new VIAO with Vista, which should be here any moment, I head off on a month long round the world trip on Saturday, so will be organising my files and learning the in's and outs on the first leg from Melbourne to LAX.
Which Vaio did you get?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far the only thing that doesn't work is my Dymo label printer.

I am disappointed that a company as large as dymo still doesn't have drivers ready for an OS that has been available to them as beta for almost a year. Logitech released the drivers for my keyboard today, not a moment too soon either.

Ran into some problems with Acrobat, but it just turns out that it won't install if the stupid user account protection is disabled...
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by If it's tuesday
Welcome to FlyerTalk, If it's tuesday!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by ScottC

Ran into some problems with Acrobat, but it just turns out that it won't install if the stupid user account protection is disabled...
And that sort of thing is really more my issue than drivers.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:36 am

I don't think that the take up of Vista is going to big amongst existing XP users until it proves itself.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
And that sort of thing is really more my issue than drivers.
Well, it's more of a stupid issue of Adobe trying to protect myself against myself. They shouldn't try and make decisions like that.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Well, it's more of a stupid issue of Adobe trying to protect myself against myself. They shouldn't try and make decisions like that.
I briefly worked with Macs about 8 years ago, and that was one of the things I didn't like -- the, "we know better than you how you should work -- you'll just get yourself into trouble" attitude. Unfortunately, with each iteration of Windows, Microsoft becomes more and more committed to the identical philosophy. I'm not sure, at this point, whether there is really much difference. Linux becomes increasingly more attractive. If only there was a comparable application base.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by PTravel
I briefly worked with Macs about 8 years ago, and that was one of the things I didn't like -- the, "we know better than you how you should work -- you'll just get yourself into trouble" attitude. Unfortunately, with each iteration of Windows, Microsoft becomes more and more committed to the identical philosophy. I'm not sure, at this point, whether there is really much difference. Linux becomes increasingly more attractive. If only there was a comparable application base.
8 years ago was a completely different OS. You can do whatever you want to your Mac.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Yah, Mac OS X, based on NeXTstep/BSD Unix is every bit as customizable as any Linux distro, and it's very easy to use for the computer novice at the same time.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:02 pm

Just out of curiosity, what version of Vista is the upgrade coupon good for? I see all three varieties of XP available with the upgrade coupon, but I cannot find mention of which vista release the coupon is good for (Currently, I'm looking on newegg).
Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by homer37
Just out of curiosity, what version of Vista is the upgrade coupon good for? I see all three varieties of XP available with the upgrade coupon, but I cannot find mention of which vista release the coupon is good for (Currently, I'm looking on newegg).
Thanks.
I believe it maps to the version of XP:
XP Home -> Vista Home Basic
XP Media Center -> Vista Home Premium
XP Professional -> Vista Business

But don't quote me on that.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:24 am

PC Magazine has one of the first performance comparisons between XP and Vista. Read this I bet you won't be thrilled with Vista:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087925,00.asp

link to notebooks benchmark: http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1...=163396,00.asp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.