Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How can I watch programs when outside US?

Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

I am in Asia right now and I want to watch last night's programs. ABC and FOX have it available on their sites but when I click on it - it says "These programs are unavailable for those outside the US" How can I get around this?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try passing through an anonymizer website like anonymizer.com.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

anything free

Anything that is free and fast? The proxy thing seems really slow.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by iwebslinger
I am in Asia right now and I want to watch last night's programs. ABC and FOX have it available on their sites but when I click on it - it says "These programs are unavailable for those outside the US" How can I get around this?
Next time you go overseas, you'll have a DVR, and you'll program it to record all the shows that you're missing.

(If you're living overseas, forget what I said.)
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I use orb on my desktop (with a tv tuner card) at home then log onto my.orb.com with my user name and password to watch shows. Orb also will record for me. What really is nice is that I can use my 8525 with G3 to watch tv on my cell phone too.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat
Try this...

When ABC first came out with the tv shows online I was addicted to lost and was thrilled to be able to watch while overseas in Israel. I assumed that they were going to check the IP of my machine and if it registered as out of US they would block me. It did, but then when I got back to the US I was also blocked. What I found out was that all it did was check the timezone that I had set windows to. Once I changed the timezone back from Israel to US it worked, ever overseas.

Try it, and let us know if that still works.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bittorrent works for all my US TV needs. ^ ^
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, UA 1K, HY GLOBALIST
You could buy a Slingbox and hook it up to your DVR at home. It will allow you to watch your home TV from anywhere with a broadband connection. You can watch live or recorded shows.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TLVorbust
Try this...

When ABC first came out with the tv shows online I was addicted to lost and was thrilled to be able to watch while overseas in Israel. I assumed that they were going to check the IP of my machine and if it registered as out of US they would block me. It did, but then when I got back to the US I was also blocked. What I found out was that all it did was check the timezone that I had set windows to. Once I changed the timezone back from Israel to US it worked, ever overseas.

Try it, and let us know if that still works.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, my time was set to EST US time so no go. Just for the heck of it I tried setting it to Asia and then back to EST but it still did not let me get on.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulTX
You could buy a Slingbox and hook it up to your DVR at home. It will allow you to watch your home TV from anywhere with a broadband connection. You can watch live or recorded shows.
That will be my next option once I get home but I was hoping to be able to see 24 while I am in Asia. The tivo is saving it but it is nice coming back to the room and being able to watch something in english without subtitles. Makes you feel human again after traveling and working.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do a google search on "public proxy." Find one in the US, and configure your Internet connection to use it (you may have to try multiple proxies 'til you find one that is open.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Frankly, I am amazed omeone would want to watch american T.V. , but Slingbox works pretty well. I have one set up in London so that I can watch channels I can't get in the u.s. (yes, even the banned subversive ones).
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:16 pm

BitTorrent is your friend.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:05 am

People keep recommending bittorrent, but as far as I know, bittorrent is only a protocol and there are several free implementations available for downloading. I've used uTorrent recently, and yeah, it's a great little tool.

But you still have to know where to find the content that you can download using one of the bittorrent clients (after opening up your own incoming bittorrent ports so you can get decent download speeds). So how does simply suggesting bittorrent help answer the question without telling us how to find the content?

I can understand the reluctance in advertising the content providers because it's probably part of the underground.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 25, 2007 at 1:11 am
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
People keep recommending bittorrent, but as far as I know, bittorrent is only a protocol and there are several free implementations available for downloading. I've used uTorrent recently, and yeah, it's a great little tool.

But you still have to know where to find the content that you can download using one of the bittorrent clients (after opening up your own incoming bittorrent ports so you can get decent download speeds). So how does simply suggesting bittorrent help answer the question without telling us how to find the content?

I can understand the reluctance in advertising the content providers because it's probably part of the underground.

-David

I am able to get U.S. TV shows within 12 hours of airing via torrents (uTorrent). A one-hour TV show (43 minutes) is 350 mb. I use TorrentHarvester to find content although for current TV shows any torrent site, like btjunkie, is fine. I got Heroes S01E12 and Studio 60 S01E12 quite quickly this week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.