Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Help! Laptop consumes too much power to use power port??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:11 am
Original Poster

I tried to use a power inverter for my laptop in a 777 business cabin. Everytime after a couple of mins I hook up my laptop, there was a beep and the power inverter got no output. Is it because of the max 75W restriction for the power port? My laptop's power adaptor has 75W (15V X 5A) output. Considering the DC->AC and AC->DC conversion, the totoal power consumption may be larger than 75W. But I am not quite sure about that. Can anyone confirm that? What if I use a 64W laptop, will it work?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, Marriott PLT, Hilton GLD, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
One trick to try if you feel you are right at the power limit is to take out the battery in the laptop - it'll use less power as the battery won't be recharging - then if it is still cutting out then you know the problem is elsewhere, either the power port itself or the inverter.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:50 am

would removing the battery when I am on my long haul AA jfk-nrt flight
Prevent my laptop from getting uncomfortably warm?

With extended use on such a long AA flight , My laptop is more like an oven,
this is very uncomfortable,
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
A few years back I had a Sony laptop with a 17 inch screen. My first flight with it was on a 757 DFW-SJU and I learned quickly that I could not power it while it was on. I of course could charge it while it wasn't running.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RedLancer
I tried to use a power inverter for my laptop in a 777 business cabin. Everytime after a couple of mins I hook up my laptop, there was a beep and the power inverter got no output. Is it because of the max 75W restriction for the power port? My laptop's power adaptor has 75W (15V X 5A) output. Considering the DC->AC and AC->DC conversion, the totoal power consumption may be larger than 75W. But I am not quite sure about that. Can anyone confirm that? What if I use a 64W laptop, will it work?
I had a Targus adapter that did this on a regular basis. Switching to iGO (Juice) made the problem go away.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:05 am

The inverter that my wife uses has the same problem. She can only use it to charge the computer when it is turned off.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I had a Targus adapter that did this on a regular basis. Switching to iGO (Juice) made the problem go away.
Check your model number. Targus had a recall because they could overheat etc. I bought an iGO
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My old eMachines drew 90W, and the only solution was to get a new laptop.

In your case, taking out the battery might help. However, you are then 100% relying on aircraft AC power, and if the system interrupts for any reason, the laptop shuts down instantly and you lose whatever you're doing. There's also an increased risk of a hard drive failure when that happens.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Electronics having been my profession in another life, I can asure you this is entirely possible - there is no device I know of capable of 100% efficiency. You are entirely correct in your assumption - your 75 watt laptop teeters on the edge of usability on AA without a converter, so to speak.

Will a 64 watt laptop work? Sure, with the caveat just mentioned.

You can try a more modern, efficient converter (I am among those who use an iGo, with all the attendant benefits of having one charger for many devices, including cell phone,) removing the battery as others have suggested, and of course, purchasing a new and less power-hungry computer ready for / using the next OS.

I'm not sure if every airline hews to the 75 W standard AA does, so this is only meant to apply to AA... but I have never had any trouble with my laptop and iGo. And because this sistation does apply to many other airlines, I am porting it over to the approriate Forum, Travel Technology.

Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot!!!
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
I have the same problem on my power inverter occasionally.

The one thing that seems to work for me is to turn down the screen brightness as much as I can and still have a reasonable view of the screen. This reduces the power consumption.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:06 am

Had the same prob with my Dell Precision M60. My 90W adapter far exceeded the power onboard. Followed the previouly mentioned advice of removing the battery.

Ended up buying the iGO Everywhere 130, which powers the LT but doesn't charge the battery. However, I still have to carry the brick in my luggage to recharge while on ground. Not exactly a keen solution.

If only Dell came up with a small gizmo that charges only the battery and has an adapter for iGO.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by ntamayo
Ended up buying the iGO Everywhere 130, which powers the LT but doesn't charge the battery. However, I still have to carry the brick in my luggage to recharge while on ground. Not exactly a keen solution.
Didn't your iGo adapter come with both AC and DC/cigarette/Empower connectors? The reason I first bought my iGo was to eliminate carrying the manufacturer-provided brick. In fact, the iGo, plugged into AC power, is powering the laptop right now
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Ltgfrk
A few years back I had a Sony laptop with a 17 inch screen. My first flight with it was on a 757 DFW-SJU and I learned quickly that I could not power it while it was on.
I just ran into this same issue with my own 17" Sony (A790, 90W supplied adapter). Setting the screen brightness to the lowest (wasn't really a problem as it was a red-eye) and lowering the CPU to the slowest speed kept it (via a Kensington 120W adapter I use now) from tripping the overcurrent limiter so I could finish up my work (even with the battery attached).
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Didn't your iGo adapter come with both AC and DC/cigarette/Empower connectors? The reason I first bought my iGo was to eliminate carrying the manufacturer-provided brick. In fact, the iGo, plugged into AC power, is powering the laptop right now
I have the same thing from Kensington but it's a 120W. It works great for all of my devices with ac/dc/cigarette, 110v/220v... even on AA. Never tried the empower but it has the adapter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.