Wiki Posts
Search

Why does Cingular do dumb things?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I've had the the Palm Treo 750 for a week now. I like it. Since I traveled to Europe on Sunday and got back yesterday, I haven't had a chance to set up e-mail; however, that's next on the list to do this evening.

I must admit, I am simply amazed at how much this phone can do. The lady that sold it to me was about to go on a break, so she didn't show me anything--it turns out to be a good thing, as I had to figure it all out for myself. (For example: the TTD/TTY box was checked, so it took me two days to figure out how to actually make a phone call without using the plug-in headset).

I am pleased with how things worked out.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:29 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
The dumbest thing Cingular did was stick with EDGE for so long. I bought a Treo 700p with Sprint and quit Cingular because they're so far behind on 3G it's not even funny.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, Nat'l-EE
I have been a cingular customer for over 9 years. I recently went to upgrade my phone one with 3G technology. I had a 2 year contract that ended 5 months away. I was told that I could upgrade and sign a new 2yr contract....
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by tonerman
I had a phone stolen recently also but my experience with Cingular was much different...
I'll wager that the big reason your experience was so much different (and better) than Murphy's was because you are on a Cingular plan with a Cingular SIM card, while it sounds like Murphy was on a former AT&T Wireless plan with a former AT&T SIM card.

Cingular has been actively pushing to migrate the former AT&T customers to Cingular plans that are in many ways less generous than the plans AT&T offered (e.g., AT&T offered free incoming text messages; not only did Cingular not offer its own customers free incoming texts, it began charging former AT&T customers 15 cents per incoming message).

Part of the push is, as Murphy found, preventing former AT&T customers who lose their SIM cards (or have them stolen) from simply buying new ones; instead, Cingular is requiring those former AT&T customers to sign up for Cingular plans as if they were new customers.

The problem that I see in Cingular's logic, however, is that once I'm forced to switch service plans, I might as well consider other companies alongside Cingular -- and could very well sign up with T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Wow, this is all great information. I wish I could add something other then to say THANKS to everyone for great advice.^ ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.