Do you think it will ever happen?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by ballsandboards
Do you think it will ever happen?
You mean, has it already happened?

The answer would be yes. A few international carriers have implemented it on longhaul flights charging an arm and leg for service. Many have posted here on FT while in the air.

Though note that Boeing's Connexion service is going kaput:
http://www.connexionbyboeing.com/
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've been using it for a long time. It's not at all expensive at $26.99 for 24 hours. Plus it has been free for the last few months. But as you say, Boeing's service is going away in two days. Dang.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I lived on this for the better part of the year. Free was best, but at the 24-hours flat pricing, it was a great deal too as it would work for all flights within that period.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:51 am

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
I agree.. the loss of Connexion really sucks.
Anybody know if there's any talk about some other company starting up a new internet service, simular to this?
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:08 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Originally Posted by UAalltheway
I agree.. the loss of Connexion really sucks.
Anybody know if there's any talk about some other company starting up a new internet service, simular to this?
Panasonic was supposed to do a seamless transfer from Connexion to their system in the beginning of January, but that didn't work out, so they're aiming for 2008, but it's looking more and more remote now. Do a search for Panasonic and you'll find some threads on it from a few weeks back.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by globetrekker84
Panasonic was supposed to do a seamless transfer from Connexion to their system in the beginning of January, but that didn't work out, so they're aiming for 2008, but it's looking more and more remote now. Do a search for Panasonic and you'll find some threads on it from a few weeks back.
Very disappointing that Panasonic hasn't stepped up to the plate in a timely manner.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Very disappointing that Panasonic hasn't stepped up to the plate in a timely manner.
I think their plan was too ambitious in order to provide the economies of scale for it to work. Connexion, I believe, only have 150 aircrafts, while Panasonic wanted 500. Getting that kind of commitment is pretty hard in this industry.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:15 pm

Oh what I miss Connexion...Highly addictive.

AirCell will start WiFi service in the US this year. Ground to Air based instead of satellite based so potentially an easier business case to close...
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:07 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
LiveTV (subsidiary of jetBlue Airways) state that they might introduce inflight email and text messaging later this year. Not much, but it is alot better than trying to figure out what to watch or listen to on jetBlue's 36 channels of DirecTV and 100 plus channels of XM Radio.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
I don't get why there is so little interest in IF internet... I've never had the opportunity to give it a try, but on longer flights where it would have been availiable i'd definitely would have given it a try. In combination with in seat power a laptop could be the best IFE thinkable. And as most modern business travelers (which pay the higher fares) travel with a laptop, i think a laptop power source is more interesting than the more expensive AVOD...
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by mayhem
I don't get why there is so little interest in IF internet... I've never had the opportunity to give it a try, but on longer flights where it would have been availiable i'd definitely would have given it a try. In combination with in seat power a laptop could be the best IFE thinkable. And as most modern business travelers (which pay the higher fares) travel with a laptop, i think a laptop power source is more interesting than the more expensive AVOD...
I think you've answered your own question. The main problem was pricing and power.

Take SQ for example. They only put Connexion on their 744s. However, inseat power was only available to those in F and C (62 seats), while people in Y (313 seats) had no access to it. So they've neglected 83% of the local "population" or else they'd have to bring piles of batteries.

And pricing was a factor too. $29.95 for 24 hour access. Priced rather high, I say. But given some of these travel routes, I think it's too expensive for too little. Let's assume that you were traveling from CMB-SIN-NRT-LAX on SQ (and we'll just assume that they had Connexion on CMB-SIN). Given that route is more than 24 hours, to get the unlimited access, you would have had to purchase two passes. That's $60. I sure wouldn't spend that much. Besides, the live TV wasn't Mac-compatible.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:19 pm

I'm not so sure the pricing and power plugs was the main issue even though it surely contributed to the collapse. Users were generally very satisfied with the service and felt it was well worth the money.
The problem as I've heard it had to do with not enough volume for all the satellite leases Connexion had to sign up to. Remember Connexion was designed pre 9-11 with hopes to attract major American carriers as their base. That never happened and LH/SK and a few others wasn't enough business to carry the cost.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 3:48 am

Programs: SMWS
-deleted-

Last edited by bounty; Apr 4, 2007 at 3:53 am Reason: already posted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.