Search

use of personal electronic devices on planes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:26 am
ddb
Original Poster

Programs: AA,Delta,USAir,HH,Starwood,Hyatt,PriorityClub
Thumbs down use of personal electronic devices on planes

don't know if this is the right place but thought i would post the question. i just returned from a trip on alitalia and was told on the plane that i could not play a dvd in my laptop. it was clarified for me that i could use whatever is on the hard drive but cannot use either a cd or dvd in the regular laptop drive while in flight. this was not an accessory connected by a wire or anything like that, just the normal laptop drive. i checked in the in-flight magazine and sure enough it says no laptop use with cd players. i travel a lot and that's the first time i''ve come across something like that and wondered if others have seen that on other airlines.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Diamond
Interesting, I just took a couple of flights on NWA recently and there were at least two people in F watching DVD movies on their laptops. On my flight back when I was in coach I watched a DVD on my laptop. Maybe alitalia is more strict than others?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:26 am

I encountered this restriction on Aer Lingus about four years ago. I believe it is still in effect.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:54 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Aer Lingus is where I first encountered this as well.

January 2004, they claim that the laser in the cd player is what is prohibitted.

Might as well be the same as these liquid bans. Useless. Since so many other flights work just fine with it.

If it were truly a safety issue all of them everywhere would.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Several European carriers have this bizzare restriction on optical disk drives going back several years (way before the liquid silliness, the shoe silliness, or even 9/11) The usual reason given is the laser, which makes absolutely no sense as the beam is completely contained and the units are usually designed such that the laser cannot power up with the tray open.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Can anyone explain the laser-phobia of the mentioned airlines? Do they think the DVD laser will somehow go haywire and start emitting a hull-evaporating death ray all over the place?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Don't forget the recent bans on Dell and Sony laptops recently (due to their batteries catching on fire).
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
My recollection on Alitalia is that they don't allow any CD or DVD drives. That includes standalone CD walkman players, DVD players, and CD/DVD drives in computers.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ddb
don't know if this is the right place but thought i would post the question. i just returned from a trip on alitalia and was told on the plane that i could not play a dvd in my laptop. it was clarified for me that i could use whatever is on the hard drive but cannot use either a cd or dvd in the regular laptop drive while in flight. this was not an accessory connected by a wire or anything like that, just the normal laptop drive. i checked in the in-flight magazine and sure enough it says no laptop use with cd players. i travel a lot and that's the first time i''ve come across something like that and wondered if others have seen that on other airlines.
This is an Italian government regulation and Alitalia was only enforcing it. You can find links to the regs on the AZ website. There was also a bit of a discussion on the AZ YYZ-LCA mistake fare threads on the AZ DVD ban. We got in on that trip and wanted to use a portable DVD player for our 3-yr old but couldn't.
--
13F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.