Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Buying new Dell Laptop, need help with WIRELESS CARD...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:51 am
Original Poster

OK I am about to buy a Dell 640m.

I use wireless all the time, all over the cities I visit.

Someone told me that if I get the "Dell Draft N Internal Wireless" which will be able to read the new N signal, it will actually pull wireless G signals from a greater range.

For example, just as a new laptop is better at pulling signals and a bit faster on speed, so too will this one, even when pulling B or G.

Therefore, if I pay the extra $50 for this wireless card, my laptop will receive MORE of the available signals when I am in a park, etc and also will pull them better, allowing for better surfing.

Is this accurate? Have I explained myself clearly ??

Thanks for any help!!
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
All the reviews I've read suggest that pre-N devices do NOT work as well as G devices.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: United MP
I doubt that it will be all that different from G.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Is N even necessary right now?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

So you all do not think there is any difference between a/b/g devices in terms of power?

I am not talking about the power of a n device to pick up n, i just heard an n device picks up a/b/g better than a g device!
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DorianGray
So you all do not think there is any difference between a/b/g devices in terms of power?

I am not talking about the power of a n device to pick up n, i just heard an n device picks up a/b/g better than a g device!
I'm not sure that an n adapter will pick up b/g signals better than a g adapter, but it will work at much better range with n access points. With b/g, I doubt it will be any worse, but it could be better.

If you plan to have the laptop for a while, I'd say that you might as well get the n adapter so that you can use n when the standard is finished and it becomes popular.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by DorianGray

If you want to pick up more WiFi signals from longer distances, then a unit with an external antenna and output power of 200 mW is the way to do it. While my laptop has a pretty good built-in WiFi and built-in antenna, for hard to pick up signals I switch over to an EnGenius 200mW unit with an external antenna that connects to my system via a USB cable. The entire setup weighs just over an ounce and fits in the palm of your hand. It also has the advantage that you can simply place the antenna where needed instead of having to stand in the window of your hotel room holding your laptop in just the right position to get a connection while feeling like a total dork ...
Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:34 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
I have a draft N Linksys adapter and router as well as a stock Dell E1505 with the Intel abg wireless card in it. Running tests on both seems to confirm that when the router is in G-only mode meaning no N at all = worse performance on my Linksys-N card with my old P3. Is it worth the 50 extra? I doubt it because the standard probably will change, and its doubtful your card will be compatible anyway.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
DorianGray - you mentioned you heard n picks up a/b/g better.

Please note - N won't pick up or use A at all. A is at 5.8MHz. B,G,N are all at 2.4MHz. A only works with A, though there are multi-mode wireless adaptors, access points, etc. Otherwise A is a bit of a near-obsolete technology since it never got wide adoption.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Walt Mossberg of www.wsj.com tested some n cards and some n routers. He sez:

.........My unimpressive draft-N experience is confirmed by several, more extensive tests done by some magazines and Web sites, which showed the draft-N gear to be no big deal. There are two other problems with the draft-N systems. The manufacturers aren't promising to upgrade them to the final N standard when it emerges. And buying them will get more complicated in the coming months, because they will be offered in a range of speeds and even in two different frequencies. I can't recommend the draft-N equipment over the previous round of MIMO-equipped routers............ story

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.