Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

America starts to catch up - Cell phones can now legally be unlocked

America starts to catch up - Cell phones can now legally be unlocked

Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:09 am

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
In dutch we call these things a "lulijzer."

I'm not gonna translate this because there might be children reading.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, SW, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
That being said, it would still be nice to have an unlocked CDMA phone that can accept Japanese SIM cards. And if international roaming rates go down, might provide an incentive to switch to a GSM carrier like T-Mo or Cingular.
I'm not sure about CDMA phone working in Japan. However, I did just come back from a trip there a week ago and my T-Mobile service did roam to DOCOMO and Vodafone JP (I think they're Softbank now, but not sure) using their 3G network.

I used a Sony Ericsson K610i (tri-band and 3G UMTS) that I bought a few months back from celluloco.com ($250.00 at that time). I also have international roaming service turned on, which is free to activate at T-Mobile.

Rates in Japan for T-Mobile, if I recall correctly, is $1.99 per minute voice calling and receiving. However, other than a flight cancellation emergency when I had to call a couple of hotel for making and holding reservations (quick answers from Holiday Inn Priority Club service desk by the way, not much hold time), I only used text messaging to coordinate where to meet and times. Rate for text message is $0.35 per message sent.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Apart from Satelitte phones all mobile/cell/pcs/GSM/CDMA/3G etc etc phones work with cells. (Even Analogue systems)

Well... actually, phones that should be called CELLULAR phones are the ones that operate on the CELLULAR band, (in US the Cellular band was set at the 800 mhz band). PCS phones on the other hand operate on the 1900mhz band (the PCS band) in the U.S. The names came from these.

But who cares, cellphones are cellphones haha

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.